Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Rep+
Reactions: reflex99

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
If those prices are accurate, you SHOULD expect a price drop.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rate of power consumption for the mere 5-10% differential?? ANY dual SLI rig will need a MIN 800+ psu...and that is for 2 gtx480s... The buying of a new PSU might be a factor in the customers decision to goto nvidia...

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,398 Posts
AGAIN I will say that this should be NO surprise to ANY of you Nvidia and ATI users. What's the difference between 40 watts? Especially when the GTX 285 needs 240 watts and the GTX 295 requires 288 watts. Hell, with the overclocks I have on my 295, I probably have it pushing close to 300 watts under full load.

How is all this so surprising to all of you? I mean really, the average media user has either a quad core desktop with +3 gigs of ram or a fairly high end dual core laptop with at least 4 gigs of ram. It's amazing to see how surprised all of you get when they release something new like this. Act amazed when they finally perfect the Fusion Reactor and are powering the US with it. This isn't surprising in the least to me.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dezshiz View Post
And in 6 months ATi releases 6xxx series, if past release date patterns are correct...
Mhmmm as if i didn't feel bad enough when the 4890 was released mere days after i finally got my 4870 in hand

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post
AGAIN I will say that this should be NO surprise to ANY of you Nvidia and ATI users. What's the difference between 40 watts? Especially when the GTX 285 needs 240 watts and the GTX 295 requires 288 watts. Hell, with the overclocks I have on my 295, I probably have it pushing close to 300 watts under full load.

How is all this so surprising to all of you? I mean really, the average media user has either a quad core desktop with +3 gigs of ram or a fairly high end dual core laptop with at least 4 gigs of ram. It's amazing to see how surprised all of you get when they release something new like this. Act amazed when they finally perfect the Fusion Reactor and are powering the US with it. This isn't surprising in the least to me.
Agreed, I personally feel if your going to be OCing and pushing the limits you may as well have a good overhead on your PSU

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezshiz View Post
And in 6 months ATi releases 6xxx series, if past release date patterns are correct...
Yea just in time for everyone to then own a 5970...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soth7676 View Post
the rate of power consumption for the mere 5-10% differential?? ANY dual SLI rig will need a MIN 800+ psu...and that is for 2 gtx480s... The buying of a new PSU might be a factor in the customers decision to goto nvidia...
i agree

·
Premium Member
4,217 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
i hate hearing about new stuff out, just when u get something that u feek good about , there is something new out there. i got one 5870, now i wil get another. i got a 955, then 965, now i was a i7 980. i give up!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhandy65 View Post
i hate hearing about new stuff out, just when u get something that u feek good about , there is something new out there. i got one 5870, now i wil get another. i got a 955, then 965, now i was a i7 980. i give up!!!!
hahaha you just said exactly wat my friend just said on AIM lol

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
dont worry about it... do not think you need it bc its new... just look at performance and see if it is worth it to upgrade... like right now I have a 5770 so a GTX480 or a 5850/5870 is up my ally.......

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhandy65
View Post

It is pretty much like this...period. Don't forget, you have the 5890 coming between the Fermi and HD 6xxx. Then you have a Fermi refresh, then......

See a pattern? We can add RAM, SSD (HD), and CPU's too.

Such an expensive and fun hobby......

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaKiller
View Post

Repost
http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...gtx-480-a.html

This isn't under the news section... OP has a specific topic to discuss, so, IMO a new thread is valid.

OT: I'll agree with the OP. While the prices aren't too bad... I don't believe they are aggressive enough to warrant a price drop as big as I would have hoped.

Even at the moment, if the benchmarks actually have any validity, you will be paying 25% more for a 5-10% increase in speed. From a purely price/performance perspective, ATI still wins even without a price drop.

Of course, though, NVIDIA still would have the highest performing single-GPU and that may be what matters to some folks.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Hell i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't drop their prices. I wouldn't as good as they are doing. Also how much do you think they will drop the buy no more than 50 MAX, or maybe maybe what they were priced at before they jumped up in price.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
will the cards return to MSRP, then?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
will the cards return to MSRP, then?
I have seen certain prices go up on newegg.com for 5970's - $739.00, im glad I got mine when it was 649.00

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Core2uu
View Post

This isn't under the news section... OP has a specific topic to discuss, so, IMO a new thread is valid.

OT: I'll agree with the OP. While the prices aren't too bad... I don't believe they are aggressive enough to warrant a price drop as big as I would have hoped.

Even at the moment, if the benchmarks actually have any validity, you will be paying 25% more for a 5-10% increase in speed. From a purely price/performance perspective, ATI still wins even without a price drop.

Of course, though, NVIDIA still would have the highest performing single-GPU and that may be what matters to some folks.

I was thinking the price/performance factor...as well as TDP factor.. that means two 480s in SLI will be pulling nearly 600 watts at STOCK settings.. If you OC them, your CPU, RAM, etc on top of all that... you would need a 800+ watt power supply to run it effectively... And tri SLI?? 885 watts from the 480s ALONE!!! so three 5870s will pull around 550-560 watts as compared to 885watts, all that wattage for slightly better perfomance?

Now dont get me wrong... Fermi might end up OCing like a SOB as compared to a 5870, or something else that will offset the price and power consumption factors... We shall see... but if these numbers hold true... My gut feeling is ATI will NOT drop prices ANY significant amount...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts