Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATi just finalized their new core design called the R520, details are here
ATi also has plans for its own interpretation of multi GPU processing called Multi Rendering which is detailed here

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was reading around a bit more and I'll summerize what I found out for those that are too lazy to read

R520, code name for the next installment of Radeon family, likely to have native PCI-e support and possibley bridged over to AGP for a temproary time. Shader model 3.0 support is given, as well as floating point precision is increased from 24 to 32 bits as per DirectX 9.0c and SM3.0 spec. Said to come into the market with a highly scaleable and programable memory bus with visions and tales of 2.2GHz effective memory clocks down the road with the release of GDDR4 near the end of next year. 16 pipes is assumed, but could possibley be even 20 or 24. Based on a 90nm Low-k production process at TSMC 90nm nodes, but die size is only slightly smaller than the R420 on 130nm process which further increases specualation of more features. Transitor count is estimated to exceed 300 million transitors.

Sounds like a really kick ass core to me, but only time will tell, and we'll probably not seem them until about Janurary or later

1 - 2 of 2 Posts