Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
X1950 XT supports software CrossFire, i.e. there's no hardware compositing engine onboard. Since ATI did not redesign this card extensively, the newfangled Internal CrossFire (through a SLI look-alike bridge and found only on the Radeon X1950 PRO and X1650 XT) is not possible while the original CrossFire method requiring the CrossFire dongle is also not implemented for the Radeon X1950 XT. Instead, software CrossFire requires the latest Catalyst 6.12 drivers, bringing us to yet another common ATI grouse - the drivers.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I read that review about a week ago and havent seen nor heard any info reguarding it as of yet, but when new drivers are out and working we shall see.

·
Premium Member
24,372 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATI83 View Post
X1950 XT supports software CrossFire, i.e. there's no hardware compositing engine onboard. Since ATI did not redesign this card extensively, the newfangled Internal CrossFire (through a SLI look-alike bridge and found only on the Radeon X1950 PRO and X1650 XT) is not possible while the original CrossFire method requiring the CrossFire dongle is also not implemented for the Radeon X1950 XT. Instead, software CrossFire requires the latest Catalyst 6.12 drivers, bringing us to yet another common ATI grouse - the drivers.
You can use the X1950 Crossfire Edition.. can't you?

X1950XT seems mia on the ATI compatibility Chart. I guess that's because it's fairly new.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chozart View Post
You can use the X1950 Crossfire Edition.. can't you?

X1950XT seems mia on the ATI compatibility Chart. I guess that's because it's fairly new.
Yes you can use the 1950 master card from what Ive understood. But to me that seems kinda pointless because of the memory differances.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chozart
View Post

Why pointless?

Ok, of course it's better to pair the X1950 Crossfire with a X1950XTX, but I'd say each card will still run at it's own speeds (Crossfire can handle with differences in speed!)

yea you are right But X1950 CF card cost $400+.
that mean you paying about $700 for that.
$700 i can get G8800GTX alrdy. hehe
If 2x x1950xt = about $540, that can keep up with the 8800GTX or same. but still a DX9 cards tho.

I think you can use x1900 CF for it too, But not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATI83
View Post

yea you are right But X1950 CF card cost $400+.
that mean you paying about $700 for that.
$700 i can get G8800GTX alrdy. hehe

No doubt...If it beats it, and it's future proof. Why waste the money? LOL..

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
So you can crossfire a X1950XT without a dongle and without a crossfire bridge? Wouldn't this affect performance?

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

So you can crossfire a X1950XT without a dongle and without a crossfire bridge? Wouldn't this affect performance?

Yes No outer Dongle Required with the Internal CF. Doubtfulyl a bridge either. Especially if you have the Chipset I do and R600.

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRaDoX
View Post

Well... they could be putting the rest of the PCI-E bandwidth to good use... games don't use it.. not even 8x of it

Left over bandwidth isnt due to it not being used by an app. My motherboard for Instance has 40 Lanes....When i have to cards in action this leaves 4 lanes left over for such things as my PCI-E1 ports..If anything Extra lanes would be used.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
well it does not even have to take any away really lol, no way a game would use a full 8x worth of bandwidth anyway they could use 2 lanes on each card to a small chip or something like that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts