Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by overclocking-the-world
I just found out ATI came out with a RADEON X850... anyone buy one yet?
Thats not out yet is it?

And I heard its not even supposed to be much better than the X800...for a lot more £££

·
Registered
138 Posts
" ATI claims the Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition will surpass the GeForce 6800 Ultra for 3D performance by wide margins. Internal testing shows the next-generation card to be 40% faster in Far Cry and over 50% faster in Unreal Tournament 2004. Cards from the X800 product family should reach retail shelves in January."

From what i can understand, X850 XT will use PCI-e and a PCI slot next to it for cooling, thus allowing massive cooling and higher core/mem speeds. But it's still a 16 pipeline card so i don't really think it's gonna outperform the X800XT or 6800 Ultra very much. It's all propaganda...sheesh

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Dual-slot = bad in my book. One of the reasons I did not consider an Ultra (that and the price tag!)I would expect them to beat the Ultra in the tests where the results are already close, such as UT. But by 50%? I don't believe the hype. Besides, nVidia will almost certainly counter with some upgraded 6800s that up the ante once again, just like these two always do.

And the Ultra is certan to continue its dominance in the Doom 3 engine, the previous disparity was simply too great to overcome with the minor changes made in this new line. I wouldn't even be surprised if a lowly GT continues to beat these new ATIs in the Doom 3 engine!

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
it looks as if the only thing added to it was 3dc so now it compresses /decompresses textures.... how much of the gpu is taken by this???? other than that it seems that its just and upgraded x800...
i bet the did the compression so that people who dont know how to adjust agp arperature can play doom3 on ultra

i didnt see what memory sizes or gpu/mem clock speeds are..
anyone get some full specs on these cards....
i think that for the x850 all of them should be 16 pipes.. not up to 16 pipes....
since the 850 is one line up from 800 the low end 850 should surpass the 800...thats just my oppinion though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts