Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, In about 4 weeks I am planning on getting a set of raptors for my system, and also a replacement card for my good ole x800. Its been a good year and a half with it but its time for something new
. I was wondering what you guys think of the cards out right now, I was leaning toward to the X1950, or a 7950. I dont think I will get a G80 because they will probably be over 600$ or more knowing Nvidia!. What do you guys think would be the best card at this point for me to look into.

Thanks Guys

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
The 8800GTX will cost $650 while the GTS version will be a bit over $500 I think. If your going to buy a card in 4 weeks then definitely get a G80, the DX10 will be worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
i just got an X1950XTX and i just installed it like 20 mins ago, now my 3dmark score is lower than my 7900GT this sucks, cool looking card though

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by noshibby
i just got an X1950XTX and i just installed it like 20 mins ago, now my 3dmark score is lower than my 7900GT this sucks, cool looking card though
Did you install the latest ATI drivers and cleaned out your old nVidia ones with Driver Cleaner or something? because the X1950XTX is much more powerfull then a 7900GT.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Budget is to keep it 650$ around there. Beyond that I dont want to spend that much because I need the rest of the raptors. Will the DX10 really be that much better than a 1950?, I plan going Crossfire or SLI with these cars also in the next few months so I wont stay single for long, the only reason ATI looked good was their best 1950 hits 499$ at Newegg, so for me to get another one to go Crossfire will be cheaper than 2 650$ unless its really gonna be that big of a difference. Let me know what you think

Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o
Did you install the latest ATI drivers and cleaned out your old nVidia ones with Driver Cleaner or something? because the X1950XTX is much more powerfull then a 7900GT.
yes i did in that order

EDIT: not quite the order i installed the drivers after cleaning

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisXTX32
sorry what?
I just got the X1950XTX and right now i don't recommend it because its slower than my 7900GT was

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Well, umm....The newer DX10 cards will be much better than what we have now. If it were for my rig I'd get the DX10 card but then gain, I don't usually get 650$.

Since you want the raptors you could either wait for more money or buy the video card now and get the raptors later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The raptors can wait for me I guess till maybe dec or next year. I mean I want to go all out on graphics so I can skip the hard drives and go Crossfire all the way with a set of 1950's but then again then DX10 will help in the long run, just wish the price was a bit more low

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Well, you could always buy the raptors now and buy the gfx cards later and stick with what you have for now on a video card. DX10 cards will be a lot because....its new tech. So now, its up to you on what to buy first. All you know for sure right now is that you're computer will be amazingly fast on games with both in your computer.

I know Im kinda confusing so.....tell me if youre confused.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JacKz5o
The 8800GTX will cost $650 while the GTS version will be a bit over $500 I think. If your going to buy a card in 4 weeks then definitely get a G80, the DX10 will be worth it in the long run.
His current PSU probably wouldnt be enough to power a G80. Those cards take 250-300W.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noshibby
I just got the X1950XTX and right now i don't recommend it because its slower than my 7900GT was
Something must have gone wrong, cause the X1950XTX should be quite a bit faster than a 7900GT.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If my PSU cant take it, I can replace that for a better PSU. My other question is if I get a G80 isint it ddr3 to ATI's ddr4 1950? will that have a impact on the dx10 coming soon ?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
^^His PSU could never take a full load on a G80 in theory. Just get your Raptors and a X1950XTX for now. I would wait it out on a DX10 until its complete mainstream and all the bugs are kinked out. Plus I would also wait for new PSU's to come out to accomodate the new cards.

pink

1 - 16 of 16 Posts