Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've had no complaints about ATI or AMD until this recent days.

For the past days I've been getting BSOd's randomly (Sometimes 1 a day, sometimes 2, sometimes none a day...) all related to the atikmpag.sys

I don't know what could be the issue, weird thing is this happens at iddle, never while gaming... only at desktop.

I tried disabling ULPS on both cards and still get those BSOD's, I am using DVI cable btw.

I have tried 11.6 drivers, early 11.7, and 11.7b which were released just today at guru3d forums. All give me the same problem.

Any clue?

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no OC done to the GPU's, I did not try 1 card but I have seen others experiencing with same BSOd with single cards, both cards are fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had one yesterday. This is what I did to fix it.

Created a new admin profile for the computer
Logged in as it
Uninstalled CCC (deleting EVERYTHING, custom uninstall not express)
Restarted in Safe mode
Login to new profile again
Go to device manager, go under display adapters, right click on cards, click uninstall from system (and delete drivers if asked)
After that is complete, right click, scan for new hardware (you will see the cards come back)
Restart, login as new profile
Install latest CCC

No problems for over a week after I did this. If you need more details on any of the steps, let me know.

-SF

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remove just CCC and keep the 11.7b drivers that came out, would that work without the CCC?

I don't mind having the CCC uninstalled, I never use it, I only use MSI Afterburner, but I do like these drivers tbh.

·
Registered
62 Posts
IMHO, I would just start fresh with the latest stuff for maybe a week or so. Just to see if you get any more BSOD's. If you do, then there might be some file somewhere corrupting something, which could require a win reinstall or maybe some hardware problem (improper cooling?). If you do not get any, you know the beta drivers are not ready for the public yet (and it might help if you inform ATI of your problems).

The drivers will work without CCC.

Be careful though, sometimes the atikmpag.sys can haunt you. I have seen it where it would load at login and BSOD immediately, almost rendering the computer useless.

-SF

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidForce;14126599
IMHO, I would just start fresh with the latest stuff for maybe a week or so. Just to see if you get any more BSOD's. If you do, then there might be some file somewhere corrupting something, which could require a win reinstall or maybe some hardware problem (improper cooling?). If you do not get any, you know the beta drivers are not ready for the public yet (and it might help if you inform ATI of your problems).

The drivers will work without CCC.

Be careful though, sometimes the atikmpag.sys can haunt you. I have seen it where it would load at login and BSOD immediately, almost rendering the computer useless.

-SF
I re-installed Windows 7 on my SSD doing a clean-erase on the SSD, installed all Windows 7 updates (Except SP1, still not done yet), installed drivers, and BAAAM! BSOD.

I did a fresh install of everything, and it will still happen.
mad.gif

This is driving me nuts, I don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to mention that, I did try a clean install with 11.6 too, same crap.

I just uninstalled CCC (Looks like it could be the reason of the BSOD's).

I'll report back if I get more BSOD's during the week, if anyone has more ideas about this issue let me know!
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Go with nVidia FTW..
wink.gif

Test both cards individually..

Also try to raise GPU voltage a bit or to force constant voltage to the GPU's..

You might wanna to run Memtest on your system as I have seen some bad RAM giving odd BSOD's (even atikmpag.sys)

CHEERS..

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidForce;14126759
Rock and roll!

It is funny, MSI Afterburner gave me those BSOD's. Was overdrive on?

-SF
Actually, I just realized those problems are for people with HDMI, im gonna go try DVI instead, I don't use HDMI sound so its useless for me.

smile.gif

I uninstalled CCC and no issues so far, either ways im gonna install it back and try DVI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59;14126927
This problem seems to be IOH related... you need to fix IOH voltage in BIOS.

Good luck
Nope, it is CCC + HDMI related, AMD admitted the problem.

@KingT Stop it with the Nvidia suggestions, it is getting annoying in all your posts come on...

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag;14127122

@KingT Stop it with the Nvidia suggestions, it is getting annoying in all your posts come on...
I think you're exaggerating, as I do not do that..
rolleyes.gif

I have over 3K posts maybe i have done it in couple of my posts,not more..
wink.gif

CHEERS..

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingT;14127162
I think you're exaggerating, as I do not do that..
rolleyes.gif

I have over 3K posts maybe i have done it in couple of my posts,not more..
wink.gif

CHEERS..
You naught KingT...
biggrin.gif

I always see you saying it whenever I post, you make me sad.
lachen.gif

Just messing with you mate.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcuestag;14127188
You naught KingT...
biggrin.gif

I always see you saying it whenever I post, you make me sad.
lachen.gif

Just messing with you mate.
smile.gif
Back at you mate..
tongue.gif

CHEERS..

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, last night while at iddle (desktop) browsing around the forum and watching a movie on VLC Player, I got this BSOd again, even with Catalyst Control Center uninstalled.

What's going on here?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
That sucks, in my experience it is almost always ccc related and uninstalling all ati software/drivers then uninstalling and deleting it manually from device manger takes care of the issue after I restart and re install.

One more thing to try would be disabling the hdmi audio in your sound devices if it is related to that.

·
Premium Member
16,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trulsrohk
View Post

That sucks, in my experience it is almost always ccc related and uninstalling all ati software/drivers then uninstalling and deleting it manually from device manger takes care of the issue after I restart and re install.

One more thing to try would be disabling the hdmi audio in your sound devices if it is related to that.

It could be the HDMI Audio even though I'm not using it right now.

I think what I'll do is remove all AMD software/drivers, then run Driver Sweeper in Safe mode, and install 11.7b again doing a custom install this time, and unticking the HDMI Sound driver off the list.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will keep you updated if it works or not.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Could be memory related. Also, I think Flash can cause this. I think someone said to uncheck "enable hardware acceleration" on any flash enabled item, like ads.

• Rep+
Reactions: kcuestag
1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.