Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i was running ATITool to ensure the stability of my current overclock on the GPU (GTX 580) and i got a BSOD error 124 during the test, around 30 minutes or so.

Isn't this error related to CPU vcore only? Or is it possible that the GPU caused it?

Seems weird if it is only CPU related since the test itself doesn't seem to put the CPU under heavy load (task manager shows it's around 15% usage, even though i can see one of the cores working a little bit hard, but just one core!).

What you guys think?

Despite what happened i wasn't getting any artifacts so far or yellow dots.

Thanks!

Thanks!

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts

·
!
9,170 Posts
Both ATItool and Furmark are not useful tests to run on a 500 series card because of the overcurrent protection (OCP) on these cards which will throttle the clocks down during those and other similar tests. So any information you hope to obtain from them such as stability, temperatures, or power draw are all flawed information. For stability testing I like Unigine Heaven for between 15-45 minutes, watching for rays of colored light as the most common artifact I have seen.

If I had to guess I would say that you are on the most recent 285.38 drivers, correct? These drivers have had a few reports of causing BSOD 124s while under load. I would roll back to a more stable release, in my case I went all the way back to 266.58, and seeing if that alone solves your problem. If you are confident in how you stability tested your CPU then I would expect it to just be the GPU drivers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly, i'm using the BETA drivers since they seem to perform much better on Battlefield 3.

Well, i tested my CPU overclock and i really don't think it is the problem, since like i said the ATITool artifact test doesnt stress the CPU at all.

I'll go for their latest driver then, 280.26!

I run Unigine Heaven a lot here and i don't remember seen those artifacts you mentioned, the only thing i remember is some weird glitch on the grass sometimes, like it was flickering or something (sometimes!), but i really don't know if it's just here or the program itself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts