Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long is long enough without artifacts? How long should it keep the same setting for without artifacts before it is safe to keep the settings??

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
This is really a personal preference thing. If you are a purist then you should never get artifacts. If you don't care if you get some here and there then maybe 5-10 seconds. It's your choice. Artifacts don't "hurt" anything except visual quality. Now if you are pushing to hard and heat is the issue then that is an entirely different issue. As to temps, it seems that the rule of thumb is keep it below 70°C and you'll be fine. If you have flashed your BIOS to 9800XT then it will be running really hot to begin with. It is recommended that you get a different HS if you have as the key difference between Pro & XT is the default speed (370 vs 412 if I remember right).

Arctic Silencer or Zalman ZM80D are two excellent HS's recommended.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

This is really a personal preference thing. If you are a purist then you should never get artifacts. If you don't care if you get some here and there then maybe 5-10 seconds. It's your choice. Artifacts don't "hurt" anything except visual quality. Now if you are pushing to hard and heat is the issue then that is an entirely different issue. As to temps, it seems that the rule of thumb is keep it below 70°C and you'll be fine. If you have flashed your BIOS to 9800XT then it will be running really hot to begin with. It is recommended that you get a different HS if you have as the key difference between Pro & XT is the default speed (370 vs 412 if I remember right).

Arctic Silencer or Zalman ZM80D are two excellent HS's recommended.

I have the Arctic Silencer REV 1 on it because the REV3 wouldn't fit due to the capacitors location. I also bought some Arctic Silver and put on it. I wish i could get track of the temps. Stupid ATi, they should put temp sensors on all the cards!! When its been under load it feels kind of warm. Not HOT just warm to the touch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My VGA cooler gets 'pretty warm' after gaming over an hour er' so... About the temp of a semi-hot cup of coffee. Not too hot to drink, and starting to get cool... Know what I mean...? And thats the top 1/2 too...

As for the limits of core/memory, it depends on all the factors mentioned and your own card as well... Some take well to O/C'ing, some dont...

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LifIsPeachy02

I have the Arctic Silencer REV 1 on it because the REV3 wouldn't fit due to the capacitors location. I also bought some Arctic Silver and put on it. I wish i could get track of the temps. Stupid ATi, they should put temp sensors on all the cards!! When its been under load it feels kind of warm. Not HOT just warm to the touch.

im pretty sure my ATI card has a temp sensor, since the fan cycles on and off depending how hot it is. no program can access it so i guess the card doesnt allow access to it. maybe get an external sensor...BTW would anyone know where to find a temp sensor with a probe small enough that it would fit inside a laptop?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Scan till you get some artifacts, like white/green dots on the 3dwindow that shouldnt be there. It will say at the bottom how long it has scanned for with out errors.
It wont hurt your card pusing it over becase your card will just give an error and the vpu recover should kick in.
But when you get either dots that shouldnt be there, or your card gives an error, thats about the limit. Knock it down 5/10mhz and retry.

Ati overclocking guide:
http://www.overclock.net/showthread.php?t=13550

1 - 8 of 8 Posts