Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=21624&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=33039&mapcode

AT&T Exceeds 2011 Android Commitment, Announces Five Smartphones

Availability of Motorola ATRIX 2, Samsung DoubleTime, Samsung Captivate Glide, Pantech Pocket and prepaid AT&T Avail, bring total count of new Android devices this year to 19.

Motorola ATRIX™ 2

The Motorola ATRIX™ 2 combines "extreme power" with "life of the party" all at an affordable price. With its 1 GHz dual core processor and access to 4G speeds, entertainment lovers will revel in the ability to quickly download music and video and browse rich web pages in high-resolution on the 4.3-inch qHD display. Capture video in 1080p HD and display it on any size HD monitor with an HDMI cable using Mirror mode. With Motorola's webtop application, you can browse the web with a full Firefox browser. Connect to the new Motorola Lapdock 100 or use the optional HD Station and browse the web on any size HD TV or monitor**.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
just a minor refresh meh

dude btw quote the source correctly
tongue.gif

nexus prime will be the way to go for me
biggrin.gif

edit: gotta say the captivate glide looks nice
biggrin.gif

been waiting for a modern Qwerty slider with 1GB RAM for a while now

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
I think I'd be in the market for the Captivate Glide.
Been waiting for a good keyboarded Android phone.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;15259656
I think I'd be in the market for the Captivate Glide.
Been waiting for a good keyboarded Android phone.
I'd be wary of samsung. My Epic (galaxy s) is on Froyo, Samsung never released an update.

Even the rom wizards @ xda can't make a stable gingerbread.

Also I find myself using the gingerbread keyboard quite a bit, or text to speech.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz;15259720
I'd be wary of samsung. My Epic (galaxy s) is on Froyo, Samsung never released an update.

Even the rom wizards @ xda can't make a stable gingerbread.

Also I find myself using the gingerbread keyboard quite a bit, or text to speech.
Are you kidding?
Look at the development of the Samsung Captivate before saying you'd be wary of them.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;15259755
Are you kidding?
Look at the development of the Samsung Captivate before saying you'd be wary of them.
So you think I should be happy with a "flagship" phone that runs an obsolete android version because Samsung can't be bothered to update the OS?

I'm trying to help you out, good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz;15259894
So you think I should be happy with a "flagship" phone that runs an obsolete android version because Samsung can't be bothered to update the OS?

Samsung did update the OS, from 2.1 to 2.2 (took them forever though).

They never said there would be an update to Gingerbread.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hellonwheelz
View Post

There is a ton of "flagship" phones with outdated versions of Android.
That's why you turn to custom ROMs like CM7.

My HTC Aria is running the latest version of Android, and that's a low end spec'd phone.

Android is too fragmented. Wait for updates.
They will come. Updates keep appearing for the Samsung Captivate.
IIRC, I just read that one was leaked a few days ago too.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSRM;15259546
Does this mean no htc holiday? That's too bad... My contract is up next month and I was really hoping...
pretty sure we are still getting that phone this xmas or january. saw an article talking about ATT filing registration or whatever with the FCC on the HTC Holiday.

i know i cant wait for it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

There is a ton of "flagship" phones with outdated versions of Android.
That's why you turn to custom ROMs like CM7.

My HTC Aria is running the latest version of Android, and that's a low end spec'd phone.

Android is too fragmented. Wait for updates.
They will come. Updates keep appearing for the Samsung Captivate.
IIRC, I just read that one was leaked a few days ago too.

There is no custom rom version of GB that runs stable on xda (epic 4g). At all. The best have random reboots and fc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHOP240;15259961
Samsung did update the OS, from 2.1 to 2.2 (took them forever though).

They never said there would be an update to Gingerbread.
Not cool. An ipod touch released on September 9, 2008 got its last update in November 2010... (4.21)

The 3gs from 2009 is getting an update to iOS 5... in a few days.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:

View Post

There is no custom rom version of GB that runs stable on xda (epic 4g). At all. The best have random reboots and fc.

which is why I always check dev popularity before purchasing a phone~
sure the E4G may not have the best dev support for gingerbread, but the captivate did and still does.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Pie
View Post

which is why I always check dev popularity before purchasing a phone~
sure the E4G may not have the best dev support for gingerbread, but the captivate did and still does.

The poster I was trying to help out with my original comment wanted a keyboard phone, Like my Epic.

I think Samsung was really douche-like with the handling of the epic updates, maybe they will be similarly crappy with all their slider phones, I just mentioned... be wary.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
A little disappointed about the proc, but i'm glad to see qHD becoming the norm for android phones. Shoulda called this the Atrix S

The glide has decent internals, i'd want to try that keyboard in-store before a purchase though

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz;15260591
The poster I was trying to help out with my original comment wanted a keyboard phone, Like my Epic.

I think Samsung was really douche-like with the handling of the epic updates, maybe they will be similarly crappy with all their slider phones, I just mentioned... be wary.
if i am incorrect, then correct me.
but isnt the problem with most samsung phones and the aftermarket rom world the way that samsung handles the bootloader?

i have been under the impression taht HTC almost caters specifically to the aftermarket world, while samsung is indifferent which is why more HTC phones have excellent support at places like XDA...
idk, like i said, correct me if i am wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:

View Post

point taken

but.....its mostly the carrier thats stopping the updates......most of the time the leaked stuff comes out practically ready and stable but the carrier stops it for "approval"

·
Banned
10 Posts
Is it still running Tegra 2 or has that changed? I don't see the point of this at all. It's still got a 1GHz dual core CPU. And doesn't the Artix 1 also have a qHD screen?

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk96t6;15260853
Is it still running Tegra 2 or has that changed? I don't see the point of this at all. It's still got a 1GHz dual core CPU. And doesn't the Artix 1 also have a qHD screen?
Atrix 2 will be running a TI OMAP4; the one used in the bionic and D3

Captivate Glide will be using Tegra2

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonwheelz;15260591

Don't worry. With Cyanogen in Samsung's wing, updates are sure to be available more quickly. Sammy didn't give the CM team free phones for nothing.
wink.gif

1 - 20 of 39 Posts