Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will probably be a first, but I am in the beginning stages of working on a prototype tablet PC that I would like to build within the next two years. It is a treacherous endeavor but I feel I can succeed.

Currently, it will be a completely silent/passive system running a mini-itx Atom 330 and ION graphics, as well as having 802.11-N Wi-Fi, 4GB of RAM and an Intel SSD. I am thinking of using a 10.4 TFT LCD touchscreen and also integrate a webcam and possibly even USB 3.0 via PCI-E.

As far as my calculations go, this can fit into a custom enclosure about 10in wide, 8in tall, and 2.5in deep.

>>>>
However, there is one problem. The motherboard has a DC input which is great because a PSU is not needed. But, I have no idea how to integrate a nice battery into this. By integrating, I mean, how can I possibly charge the battery and also allow power to run through to the board.

>>>>Is there anything on the market which would let me do this? Is there any modification that I can do that will allow for it to run on battery. How would essentially setup the tablet so it would function like it was a laptop in regards to power? I plan to use a 12-cell Lithium Ion battery for extended battery life.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,706 Posts
No offense, but at 2.5" thick, I don't know if you could really call it a tablet. More like a mini-itx enclosure with a screen on it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I know a circuit can be set up to charge the battery and power the board but I don't know how you would specify that it was running off of a battery to the system.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by losttsol View Post
No offense, but at 2.5" thick, I don't know if you could really call it a tablet. More like a mini-itx enclosure with a screen on it.
Ok, not really a "tablet" but a highly functional mobile device....

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright I think I may have a solution after some hard looking. Instead of using a legit battery for a laptop and attempting to tinker with circuitry and whatnot, I will try to use a external Li-Ion battery for a laptop that are usually used to piggyback onto the stock battery for extending life. As far as I am concerned, these same batteries can just be used by themselves. They run for about $100.

Tekkon MP3450: http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP3450...8527811&sr=1-2

Not to shabby.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts