Overclock.net banner

ATTN. finned HSF users drop your temps!!

7848 Views 77 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  meticadpa
i have been tinkering with my xigmatek hdt s-963 as its a good heatsink but it doesnt rival the big boys and have found that quite a lot of air escapes out the sides and with the stock ~40 cfm fan thats a lot of air

so i decided to do somthing about it to see if redirecting this lost air would help temps

core temp was used for temp taking

cpu used was my e2180 @2.9 1.41vcore idle 1.39 load

idle with fins open was ~ 32c (no pic)

idle with fins taped was 28~29c

load with fins open was ~52c

load with fins closed was an impressive

testing was done with case side of hsf mounted horizontally blowing air to back fan with a 120mm fan blowing air in to it (pics on request)

hopes this helps all you extreme Air OCers with hdt s1283s trues etc.

EDIT: continued load of almost 1/2 hour with side off or on yields 46c max
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was amazed at the difference to be honest you might want to try a better looking approach though lol i used aluminum tape for heat transfer

(fasson aluminum tape for all your OCing needs)

PC used

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fasson aluminum tape

(great for patching the underside of boats in water)
this stuff is awesome and seemed like it would conduct the heat out as opposed to the insulative properties of electrical tape

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my power supply fan is an 88cfm yate loon it needs no help

and my NB has a little fan on it so its cool too

· Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Elev8rSh0es, great idea! I shall have to run similar tests on my setup.

Question: Where did you get the Fasson tape? Could you provide a link to where you got yours?

Many thanks again!

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the tape i got at home depot its generic aluminum tape there are many varietys and widths im sure you could find it online somewhere ill check also when i get back from class

fasson is just the brand and i said it for lulz

when my as5 comes in im going to also tape the voids near the top and bottom
(when i can pull it out, but i also have a 2 vantec tornados coming so i really dont want to get to tape happy until they get here

this stuff is sticky

thanks for the rep guys im glad you all appreciate the test and i hope some will get better temps now

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Premium Member
8,693 Posts
wow this is an awesome idea very +Rep worthy. but being the pansy that i am i was worried about what if the alluminum tape got dusty (my case fills with dust and cat hair within 1 week of cleaning) and decided to fall on your motherboard or graphics card, would this cause shorts and a 50lb $1500 paper weight?

and LOL at Fozzie having a razer logo avatar and 1 post down dobbie with the same as a tattoo!

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
given the strength of the adhesive ( been holdingwater out of a crack in my dads boat for 2 years) i would say no

but saying that it is conductive so dont be stupid like me and do it while the pc is running i sparked the 6 pin contacts on my graphics card using this stuff before

· Premium Member
10,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auld View Post
wow this is an awesome idea very +Rep worthy. but being the pansy that i am i was worried about what if the alluminum tape got dusty (my case fills with dust and cat hair within 1 week of cleaning) and decided to fall on your motherboard or graphics card, would this cause shorts and a 50lb $1500 paper weight?

and LOL at Fozzie having a razer logo avatar and 1 post down dobbie with the same as a tattoo!
Yeah it would probably short out a gfx card, but all you have to do is apply scotch tape to the metal surface to minimize that chance, or use a paperclip so that if ever it falls off it will hang.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.