Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an old HP to fix parts and got a Sound Blaster Audigy EAX Advanced HD. Model SB0160. When I do a google search, that model number comes up as an "Audigy ES" which I can't find anything about. It's not even listed on Creative's website.

This is all I could find on it:

Quote:

Description: DISCOVER HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CLARITY AND REALISM WITH SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY Sound Blaster Audigy audio cards deliver audio clarity comparable to high-end home stereo solutions as well as unprecedented realism in audio playback. Powered by the Audigy processor, four times more powerful than any previous audio processor, Sound Blaster Audigy brings your PC closer to the ultimate digital entertainment experience! This Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy sound card offers high-quality audio that can enhance your computer's audio system! It features the Audigy CA0100-IDF Chipset, PCI interface, 100 dB signal to noise ratio, and more. Get this fantastic sound card today!

Features/Specifications:

- Creative Audigy CA0100-IDF Chipset
- PCI interface
- EAX ADVANCED HD Audio Technology
- 24-bit digital audio
- 96 KHz sampling rate
- 100 dB(SNR) signal to noise ratio
- Internal Connectors: TAD CD in AUX in CD SPDIF AUD Ext
- External Connectors: Digital out Line in and out 3 Microphone Line out 1 Line out 2 15-pin game/midi port

Would this card be worth installing in my rig or is Asus's onboard nForce4 Audio comparable?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
it will be an improvment...but not a huge one. It really depends on how good your speakers are also. It will relieve the cpu from having to code the audio signal and should be a slight performance increase also.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
The NF audio uses the realtek audio codecs which are good to a certain degree but as creative have the ondoard sound processor it takes the load off the cpu, so when listening to music you should have a 0-2% load in the task manager. So I would install it

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got an X2 3800+ at 2.5Ghz so I'm not too terribly concerned about a 2% drop in CPU usage. I'd say I've got an above-average speaker system, the Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround speakers. I'm using AndrewLabs ATSurround Processor in Winamp to convert my MP3's to 5.1 surround. Does the Audigy ES have an onboard 5.1 processor to convert music from 2.0 to 5.1??

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinhead-227
View Post

I've got an X2 3800+ at 2.5Ghz so I'm not too terribly concerned about a 2% drop in CPU usage. I'd say I've got an above-average speaker system, the Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround speakers. I'm using AndrewLabs ATSurround Processor in Winamp to convert my MP3's to 5.1 surround. Does the Audigy ES have an onboard 5.1 processor to convert music from 2.0 to 5.1??

My x-530s and an Audigy SE are in the mail, I cant wait!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEddie View Post
My x-530s and an Audigy SE are in the mail, I cant wait!

They seem to of been in the mail a really long time. Didnt you post this 2 weeks ago that it was in the mail?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I would always install a sound card when you can. Its sole job is to do audio and nothing more, take some stress of the CPU and mobo and let it do its job. You will notice a difference in audio/gaming.

pink

·
Registered
854 Posts
No the ES is crap and very buggy! I threw mine out. I thing the Nforce audio is better! Unless you have a Audigy Platinum don't do it.

·
Banned
10,581 Posts
On board audio will also contain a lot of interference from nearby circuitry gizmos and what have you. I'd install it, it'd would at least as good, but probably better.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I owned the Audigy ES and it does not have the full blow Audigy Audio Chip onboard and it is stripped down. It does not support EAX fully and it will crackle and skip audio on you. There is a ton of info on the net about it Just lookup Audigy ES issues. If you just want good audio not 3D audio then it is fine.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well well well... According to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audigy#...ster_Audigy_ES

The ES is actually better than the Audigy SE and LS. The ES is basically a straight Audigy without a firewire port. The SE and LS don't support hardware acceleration.

Quote:
Sound Blaster Audigy ES
This variant uses the full EMU10K2 chip and is, as a result, quite similar in feature-set. It is only missing its firewire port.
Hmm... Getting conflicting information here. It's strange that Creative has nothing about the ES model on their website. I guess I could just stick the thing in and try it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
SO SORRY! I had an LS. The ES is a great board! My apologies you have yourself a great card! Enjoy, and don't listen to me...

• Rep+
Reactions: Pinhead-227
1 - 13 of 13 Posts