Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCN ! I was wondering if I'd notice any difference going from onboard audio to a let's say a 40-50$ audio card (Xonar DS for exemple)

I've got Gamecomm Plantronic 777 headset.
I like to listen to loud music and I play FPS games.

Would I notice any real difference ?
My headset came with a 7.1 usb adapter which I think is gimmick but still, would I gain anything or I just waste 50$.

Thanks a lot !

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abs.exe
View Post

Hey OCN ! I was wondering if I'd notice any difference going from onboard audio to a let's say a 40-50$ audio card (Xonar DS for exemple)

I've got Gamecomm Plantronic 777 headset.
I like to listen to loud music and I play FPS games.

Would I notice any real difference ?
My headset came with a 7.1 usb adapter which I think is gimmick but still, would I gain anything or I just waste 50$.

Thanks a lot !

The 777s crappy sound card sucks compared to a dedicated sound card. Get a ST or a STX. I am getting a STX soon. I would get a new headset also I use to own the 377 and the 777 and they suck so much for sound quality (no offense)

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
You'll need something capable of playing high quality sounds before you notice any difference.

·
Banned
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, to be honest I find em good for my use, I was just wondering if there would be any difference from the onboard audio ?
Or it will feel like I changed an almost finished tire to a new one (no difference)

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, to be honest I find em good for my use, I was just wondering if there would be any difference from the onboard audio ?
Or it will feel like I changed an almost finished tire to a new one (no difference)

The audio is only as good as its initial source. If you looking for a high end sound card get a some good cans. Its like using a STX with my 7H from Steelseries. LOL I can't believe I spent the $150 on these things. Fake @$$ gimmick 7.1 -_-

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane1244
View Post

You'll need something capable of playing high quality sounds before you notice any difference.

Self Quote ftw.

You might get better channel mixing, but that's about it.

·
Banned
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after reading your replies, I should keep that 50$ ?
Because I'm not an aduio freak, I just heard that its like day and night but with my headset I was wondering if I would really hear anything better.

·
Banned
1,527 Posts
Quote:

View Post

So after reading your replies, I should keep that 50$ ?
Because I'm not an aduio freak, I just heard that its like day and night but with my headset I was wondering if I would really hear anything better.

What is your purpose.. Gaming, Music, Audiophile, DJ, Studio Mixing etc...

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
I never owned a dedicated sound card until about a month ago when I found an older XFi XtremeMusic at work.

I can't really tell the difference when gaming or listening to music through my garbage Logitech 2.1 (damn gf stole my Yamaha receiver and vintage Koss fronts for our home theater!!) setup but I can definitely tell when listening to my JVC cans. Much clearer and 'sharper'. FLAC and 320bit MP3s sound amazing!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
When I built this rig I tried without a soundcard for a while, and I personally couldn't stand it. As everyone said, though, with soundcards you need a good input and a good output, otherwise you're (almost) throwing money away.

I've noticed a lot of people on this forum spend $100+ on soundcards and still use awful headphones
(and perhaps even listen to 128kbps mp3s).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts