Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I might as well do a thread
, I've had these for about ... 30 minutes? and they are already being modded

This will be my 3rd pair of AD700s, I love them soooo much that I continue to sell them to friends and buy another one.

My last pair I used Mogami cables, this time I'm building my own cables
, and this one will have a mic mod. Definitely won't be selling these to anyone unless it's the right price.

Currently coming;
22AWG White Teflon 19 Strand wire
White TechFlex Sleeving
3.5mm Terminations (Male)
3.5mm Terminations (Female Socket, which btw are extremely hard to find)

Since we all know threads are useless without pictures.... here you go.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny, I pulled them out of the box, let my friend try them out on the Virtual Barbershop, then automatically was like "eh these don't sound as good YET. This has to be the shortest amount of time it's taken anyone (maybe?) before they've rewired lol.

If all of my packages arrive on time, I should have this rewire done before Monday

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by imadude10 View Post
Sorry for being an audio noob, but What exactly does this accomplish? better quality? or just aesthetics?
Rewiring, depending on the type of wires used, can add drastic increase on the high end and mids, allow greater frequency response, and more.

The aesthetics part of my mod will be the mic, since I use my AD700s for XBOX, I hate having a mic dangling around. The end results will be ::::

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
Ambitious project. I like it.

I am never satisfied by items that come with products lol. Maybe that's why everything in my PC is overclocked, minus the Soundcard lol.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
beautiful. i wish i had the guts to do this.
im not good with super tiny wire, my fingers are too big, and unsteady..

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tombom View Post
Nice mic. Love the sleeving.

And wiring is a bit much IMO, you could just buy better cans.
Overclocking is a bit much IMO, you could just buy a better CPU.

·
Audio File
3,815 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tUDJ View Post
Overclocking is a bit much IMO, you could just buy a better CPU.

Ah yes, but the price and potential performance increase to these are both different. I'm not sure how much recabling costs, and I'm not sure if the yields are worthwhile. I get the joke and all, but overclocking and recabling are two totally different things.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
lol, I happened to get these a few months ago, they're like an extension of my head now XD Are there like widespread guides on how to do this tho? =P

/end emoticon barrage

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tombom View Post
Nice mic. Love the sleeving.

And wiring is a bit much IMO, you could just buy better cans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3haxle View Post
lol, I happened to get these a few months ago, they're like an extension of my head now XD Are there like widespread guides on how to do this tho? =P

/end emoticon barrage

Lets just say stock cables = stock heatsink on the CPU, it works but it's not the best. Rewiring isn't that expensive unless you go with Canare cables ($3-5 per foot), with my rewire since I'm building my own cables it's only costing $20 or so. So added together $80+20+20 (mic) = $120, which BETTER headphones would I get?

Rewiring brings out the full potential of any pair of cans, if I were to get HD600/HD800/ whatever I would still rewire them.

They don't have very many widespread guides on the AD700s but it's pretty much the same once you get the cups apart. Which these are easy, just pull the foam ear pads off then 4 screws and you're done with that part.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Nice work so far

Paint the grilles
. A nice coat of white with a clear coat would be awesome. Heck you could even dye/paint the plastic parts too. That would look amazing. I didn't know they came apart so cleanly. I'm surprised I haven't seen more ppl painting that grill since it is a separate piece.

Think about the potential, black plastic, white grilles....

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
SICK

useless junk

1 - 20 of 88 Posts