Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been reading a lot of comments on this forum about gaming headsets and seen a lot of love for the AD700 and A700. I want to buy either one of these for games like battlefield bad company 2/battlefield 3 and Team fortress 2 etc. And I love listening to Rap music with bass and also R&B so i'll need headphones which has good sound stage for directional sounds of where things are in FPS games and also a good Boom or thud when an explosion goes off.

I'm using the Asus Xonar D2X Sound Card and will a FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier help boost up my bass? Right now my Sony MDR XB500 isnt too much bass out of the sound card alone but the headset works nicely with usb sound card.

Any suggestions on what to get will be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
14,187 Posts
They're great headphones, and even make for a good headset (you have to buy the mic separately). I'm not too sure about the specifics of the bass, but I'm almost positive it's not overpowering.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i was thinking about getting the Zalman ZM-MIC1 Microphone that goes well with this headphone since everyone has been suggesting it lol. It cost only $8 from Umart.com.au in australia. So would the A700 still have a good sound stage? I know the AD700 has a bigger sound stage since it's open but how is the A700 compared to the AD700?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Ive tried both the AD700's and the A700's.. I own the A700's because I prefer closed back. All in all, you will be happy.

I have the ATH-A700's with that zalman clip-on mic and have used it gaming for years, very clear and detailed audio, and the mic is a hell of a lot better than any others Ive owned, I actually have two now. For under $150 easily, you get a MUCH better headset than anything you can find on the market within a $50 (if not more, I don't know how the higher end stuff ranks) range.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Those are the same. Both are blue, the "black" set look that way due to the angle and lighting of the photo. Good headphones, bass is solid and clean, but not heavy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys!!!!

So my AD700 just arrived today and WOW! They are perfect!! I tried it on and listened to some music n played battlefield with it. The bass is actually not too bad, some of the bass isnt there like for guns and explosions, depending on how far away you are. But so far it's still pretty good, it's better than what I thought would be.

I just want to know how to set up my settings properly for my Xonar D2X audio center to get the best out of my headphones. I have it plugged into my speaker headphone output. Should i leave it like that or plug it straight into my sound card??

Should I change anything to get the fullest out of the AD700 when playing battlefield bad company 2?

My Xonar D2X audio center setting looks like this:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so i was on the forum but their image was taken off so I have no idea how to set it up my audio center. I changed my analog out to 7.1, the audio channel to 6 and clicked on dolby pro logic IIx and 7.1 virtual speaker shifter. But only my left ear can hear the music im playing right now o_O. The right is extremely soft. The moment i turned off 7.1 virtual speaker, both ear cups balanced out

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chingawest
View Post

so i was on the forum but their image was taken off so I have no idea how to set it up my audio center. I changed my analog out to 7.1, the audio channel to 6 and clicked on dolby pro logic IIx and 7.1 virtual speaker shifter. But only my left ear can hear the music im playing right now o_O. The right is extremely soft. The moment i turned off 7.1 virtual speaker, both ear cups balanced out

Weird. No idea why that is. I'd try this alternative

http://forum.game-fi.com/index.php?topic=5.15

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Audio Technica ATH-A700 good for FPS gaming - Yes, but only if you want the competitve edge, if you're looking for explosions to be awesome, no.

Rap/R&B Music - No, not at all, in any shape or form.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pLuhhmm
View Post

Audio Technica ATH-A700 good for FPS gaming - Yes, but only if you want the competitve edge, if you're looking for explosions to be awesome, no.

Rap/R&B Music - No, not at all, in any shape or form.

They have a decent bit of bass, just not a lot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts