Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's kind of a stupid question, but is there any difference in having the volume at 100% in the sound settings, in the music player or in the speakers/headphones? I mean, if I have 100% in the sound settings, 50% in the music player and 30% in the headphones/speakers, will it be different if these values change, like having the music player at 100%, and the other things at less?

Sometimes I get a small distortion (I think it's the correct name). It happens with the speakers and headphones, usually when I'm listening to music (music player or youtube). It lasts not even one second, but I find it annoying.
What can it be?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
For software I'm not really sure, but I'm sure that on a sound mixing console, if you have the channel fader and gain up higher than the main faders, 9 out of 10 times it induces horrible distortion.

I guess the same goes for Windows.

My Windows main level is at 100%, and my speakers set to a certain level. I just use my music player to control the volume.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
It doesn't matter at all, the pre-amp output device is the sound card...it has a fixed distortion curve of THD by Vrms output.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TBH, I dont' understand what you guys are talking about.

I don't know a lot about audio stuff...
Anyway, what could be the cause of the distortion sound I get?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by FearSC549
View Post

What do you mean small distortion. How does it sound like?

I think that distortion isn't the correct word, sorry for that.
It sounds like 'crshhh', I get with the speakers or headphones, it lasts one second and it happens every 5-10 minutes, but not regularly.
Could be some kind of interference problem?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Loose connection.

Does it make this hissing and crackling every time you move around or increase the volume on a knob?

By knob, I mean real knob that you turn with your fingers, and not a virtual knob on Windows or something.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Loose connection.

Does it make this hissing and crackling every time you move around or increase the volume on a knob?

No, it just happens randomly, doesn't matter where the volume is.
I've searched a little bit and I think that it could be EMI, but how to resolve it?
Maybe it's the position of the cables? I have a ferrite ring (included in the case) but I've never used it, could this help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts