Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roughly$360 budget. I would think a setup this expensive should be able to play my games in (most likely virtual) dolby surround, and turn around and play music amazingly as well, if for some reason I'd have to choose gaming or music at such a budget that I consider more then reasonable then I guess I'd just back out and keep my money.
Which is why I'm steering clear of the Psyko 5.1 headset even though it has its own amp (mic is cool too but I already have a good headset coming for xbox/ventrilo-the ear force Z2).

My current idea is the

Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphones Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphones
paired with an amp that will fit in the rest of the budget. Any suggestions for a good amp will be appreciated, if you think I should get different headphones let me know.

I also have a question: will the amp be enough or should I be getting an actual soundcard with an amp built in (the ASUS Xonar Essence STX would be perfect if it didn't cost so much, though the Auzen X-Fi Bravura. Or would a seperate amp+ a sound card be the best?

PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS 50/50 GAMING/MUSIC PC USE ONLY. DON'T NEED MIC: MUSIC/MOVIES/SINGLEPLAYER/NO MIC ONLY SITUATIONS.

IF YOU BELIEVE I WON'T NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MY EAR FORCE Z2+AMP AND X AUDIOPHILE HEADPHONE+AMP WITHOUT GOING OUT OF BUDGET PLZ TELL ME SO I DON'T WASTE TIME/MONEY AS THERE ARE SOME MORE PC GAMES I'D LIKE TO GET

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help plz, I gotta sleep for a long day tomorrow, but I'm too anxious to see what you guys recommend haha.

·
Legacy Member
2,246 Posts
Actually you need:
headphones
soundcard
amp

I would buy a nice set of headphones and a decent soundcard then later down the road worry about an amp if you feel you need one.

·
Legacy Member
2,246 Posts
soundcard

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDAQ8wIwAg#

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CC8Q8wIwAg#

-note this is pci-e, there are more affordable options available from 100-200 usd price range

headphones

beyer dt770
http://www.google.com/products/catal...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

beyer dt880

senn 595

audio technica a900
http://www.google.com/products/catal...CBcQ8wIwATgA#p

shure 840 (I personally wasnt impressed by these but many love them)

-there are so many headphone options in your price range and you could even cut a bit off the soundcard and open up to more options

The amp idea is great but completely throws off your whole budget and isnt an integral part of your setup.

·
Registered
474 Posts
try the xonat essence ST it has a built in amp that is supposed to be able to handle a 600 ohm headphone, but it will push you out of your budget

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen that people like the DT-770 more then the DT-990, think I should get that instead? (Still a 600 ohm version and it's 100 bucks cheaper on

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Premium 600 OHM Headphones Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Premium 600 OHM Headphones
).
It would also allow me enough money to get the xonar essence stx (almost) just need a bit more money for it to meet my budget.

·
Legacy Member
2,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnieos View Post
I've seen that people like the DT-770 more then the DT-990, think I should get that instead? (Still a 600 ohm version and it's 100 bucks cheaper on Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Premium 600 OHM Headphones).
It would also allow me enough money to get the xonar essence stx (almost) just need a bit more money for it to meet my budget.
This may the configuration you are looking for. The dt770 are a very respectable headphone. They also have an 80 ohm dt770 version that you could try out.

It is important to remember that these are often considered to be studio grade (recording) headphones.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woundingchaney View Post
This may the configuration you are looking for. The dt770 are a very respectable headphone. They also have an 80 ohm dt770 version that you could try out.

It is important to remember that these are often considered to be studio grade (recording) headphones.

dt770 600 ohm > dt770 80 or 250 ohm

·
Legacy Member
2,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blur510 View Post
dt770 600 ohm > dt770 80 or 250 ohm
I agree, but if he isnt going with an amp he may want to stay with a lower ohm.

·
Registered
474 Posts
STX's amp is supposed to be good to 600 ohm. I say get a 600 ohm, he can always get an amp later, then a better amp even later, there is always something bigger and better, but at least he is getting the best version of the dt770 to begin with..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow i think it was meant to be. the total on amazon for the essence stx and 600 ohm dt 770 is 358.78 after shipping and everything. should i pull the trigger when i get the money in my account?

·
Legacy Member
2,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnieos
View Post

wow i think it was meant to be. the total on amazon for the essence stx and 600 ohm dt 770 is 358.78 after shipping and everything. should i pull the trigger when i get the money in my account?

Given everything fits in your budget you will have a nice setup there. I would go ahead an go with it, unless you want to do more research on headphones (though the dt770s are high grade headphones.)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woundingchaney
View Post

Given everything fits in your budget you will have a nice setup there. I would go ahead an go with it, unless you want to do more research on headphones (though the dt770s are high grade headphones.)

nice man, i just wanted to know, would lower ohm headphones that don't need to be amped sound much worse then this or would i notice a difference?

·
Registered
4,856 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I'd suggest using the majority of your budget on quality headphones. These Sennheiser HD600 will not only caress you into comfort heaven, but the sound will be much better than anything you've probably ever heard. You'd have enough left to add a soundcard (look for used Asus or Creative. I've seen $35 shipped Xtrememusic cards here). Down the road when you have some more money, you have a nice upgrade path in an external headphone amp which would take these headphones to another level.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-HD-60...item2eafc515db

If you're wanting low impedance headphones, Grado for sure. They sound just as good as Senns, but aren't as comfortable and don't need an amp.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post

If you're wanting low impedance headphones, Grado for sure. They sound just as good as Senns, but aren't as comfortable and don't need an amp.
I had a pair of grados...... they were way to harsh in the highs for my tastes. I ended up returning them for some sinns

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnieos View Post

Honestly, I wouldn't go with the Essence.

This is what I would do:

I'd try and grab an Auzentech Forte or Prelude. If not those then simply grab an Xtrememusic or Xtremegamer off of ebay for cheap. Then I'd grab some Denon D1000's, a pair of ATH-A700, possibly AD700's, or if you really want the DT 770's then go with those. I'd then shop around at a thrift store or on craigslist for a vintage receiver and use that as your amp.

Soundcard amps, no matter what they're rated for in terms of impendance, are nowhere near what you need to properly drive audiophile headphones. I used to have a Forte with an opamp and DT770's, and it sounded alright. The moment I plugged my soundcard into my old home receiver and my headphones into the receiver, the DT 770's were on a completely new level. The DT770's will run off of a Xonar Essence, but you need a proper amp. A home receiver will do just fine. A pair of DT770's with an Xtremegamer and a receiver as an amp will sound better than an Essence using it's onboard amp.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I myself run a 600Ohm Beyer on the STX. The STX is no gimmick. The sound is better than most of the cheap dedicated amps I've used

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tipsycoma
View Post

Honestly, I wouldn't go with the Essence.

This is what I would do:

I'd try and grab an Auzentech Forte or Prelude. If not those then simply grab an Xtrememusic or Xtremegamer off of ebay for cheap. Then I'd grab some Denon D1000's, a pair of ATH-A700, possibly AD700's, or if you really want the DT 770's then go with those. I'd then shop around at a thrift store or on craigslist for a vintage receiver and use that as your amp.

Soundcard amps, no matter what they're rated for in terms of impendance, are nowhere near what you need to properly drive audiophile headphones. I used to have a Forte with an opamp and DT770's, and it sounded alright. The moment I plugged my soundcard into my old home receiver and my headphones into the receiver, the DT 770's were on a completely new level. The DT770's will run off of a Xonar Essence, but you need a proper amp. A home receiver will do just fine. A pair of DT770's with an Xtremegamer and a receiver as an amp will sound better than an Essence using it's onboard amp.

i know this sounds stupid but let me just get this question out in case it has a chance of working. would a pair of "x" audiophile headphones+the earforce DSS connected via optical to my onboard be a bad idea?
edit: or the mixamp for that matter maybe?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts