Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this.

Thinking about getting a nice sound system in my car around Christmas, and would like to know the best approach to it. Sound is VERY important to me.

Budget would probably be 500 with installation - I know that isn't much, but I'd like to replace my 2 front and 2 rear speakers, and add a sub. Listen to a large variety of music, but mostly electronic/dubstep in the car.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I think Crutchfield may be your friend on this one. They don't carry the "best" but certainly good for your budget range. First question I have is whether or not you have already replaced the factory head unit?

·
Premium Member
32,942 Posts
What you're asking isn't going to happen with a $500 budget.

You can step into a good quality head unit, some good fronts, and maybe a 2 channel amplifier for the fronts. That's about it.

When you do get it all setup though, make sure you join the car audio club (in my sig).
smile.gif

And don't pay for an install, do it yourself. It's not all that hard.

·
Registered
198 Posts
get a nice head unit and some good 3-way coaxials or 2-way components all around, then fiberglass in some custom enclosures in the doors/trunk/etc.

You'll be suprised at how much low-end you can get out of a decent set of 6.25"s when powered from a head unit if your fiberglass provide the right airspace.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;15208127
What you're asking isn't going to happen with a $500 budget.

You can step into a good quality head unit, some good fronts, and maybe a 2 channel amplifier for the fronts. That's about it.

When you do get it all setup though, make sure you join the car audio club (in my sig).
smile.gif

And don't pay for an install, do it yourself. It's not all that hard.
Any suggestions for the budget, then? I can work on this later as well, just an initial start to better car audio. Sick of the high pitch buzzing I get currently.

I honestly have NO idea what I'm doing around car audio, or cars for that matter, which is why I was going to pay for the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylepdalton;15208110
I think Crutchfield may be your friend on this one. They don't carry the "best" but certainly good for your budget range. First question I have is whether or not you have already replaced the factory head unit?
I have not, this will pretty much be the first bit of the process. Just got this car ~2 months ago.

·
Premium Member
5,990 Posts
In my opinion, it's somewhat pointless to invest in car audio because it's going to be drowned out by road noise anyway unless you have a Lexus or a Mercedes Benz. If that's the case, I don't know why you didn't just get the best audio system they had in the first place.

I might have spent at least $1500 on headphones, amplifiers and sound cards, but will not put a single cent into my car's audio (and it already has the premium Harmon Kardon speakers already).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihasfip;15208576
If 500 $ is the budget for installation and everything you won't get more than a cheap head unit and some "fair" front door speakers....also... what kind of vehicle is it?

D
If that's true, then just a head unit replacement would be viable for the moment. The buzzing I get comes from the Aux input from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMaster;15208606
In my opinion, it's somewhat pointless to invest in car audio because it's going to be drowned out by road noise anyway unless you have a Lexus or a Mercedes Benz. If that's the case, I don't know why you didn't just get the best audio system they had in the first place.

I might have spent at least $1500 on headphones, amplifiers and sound cards, but will not put a single cent into my car's audio (and it already has the premium Harmon Kardon speakers already).
I have a hybrid. It's extremely silent both while driving and it shuts off when I stop. I bought it used, wasn't my choice for car audio.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Head unit will be your first thing to get. First think about features that you want in a head unit. CD, DVD, SAT, NAV, iPod, video, etc... Then look at what will fit your car i.e. double or single din and amount of space behind the unit. If you let us know the exact year and model we might be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2007 Saturn Vue.

·
Registered
776 Posts
$500 isn't nearly enough for all parts. But I would recommend checking craigslist for used subs and whatnot.

Focus on the headunit and the door speakers for now.

Also do a lot of research.

I really dig my Polk Audio db651s : [ame="[URL=http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=overclockdotnet-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPolk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers%2Fdp%2FB000P0PF9G%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1317957213%26sr%3D8-1]http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317957213&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-5-Inch-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B000P0PF9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317957213&sr=8-1[/ame[/URL]]

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
When I was younger with more disposable income I had roughly 5 grand in my system and road noise was of no concern. Won some trophies and got alot of compliments in the age of excess audio equipment ( 1990's)

Anyhow I second the opinions that the best place to start is the head unit. A quality head unit is a must and dont be swayed by excess. Form and function. Bells and whistles dont always mean quality.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hm... I'd say you can do what you want for around $1,000. Double your budget so I'd also suggest getting an HU and two fronts.

Alpine makes really nice HU's and for speakers I'd go with Infinity.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE121/Alpine-CDE-121.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Alpine&tab=detailed_info

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086030CS/Infinity-Reference-6030cs.html?tp=106&nvpair=FFBrand|Infinity

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1086939I/Infinity-Kappa-693-9i.html?tp=91&nvpair=FFBrand|Infinity

It really depends on what speakers your car has now though. You can easily install them yourself if they are the same size or smaller. 6x9's can give you really good bass in place of buying a sub.

That gets you pretty close to budget and at least gives you some idea.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:

Road noise? Seriously? I don't know what you drive, but my cheap 2000 Beatle with the windows down or up. I can clearly hear my music. And you can easily reduce road noise with dynamat.

163199_177762705591694_100000738983889_457369_5459399_n.jpg

·
Registered
888 Posts
That limits you to single din head units unless you want to attempt custom fab work...But your options are still very open. Any specifics you want in a head unit? Something basic or more advanced like a motorized touchscreen dvd screen?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylepdalton;15208806
That limits you to single din head units unless you want to attempt custom fab work...But your options are still very open. Any specifics you want in a head unit? Something basic or more advanced like a motorized touchscreen dvd screen?
Not one for fancy stuff. I only ever use my auxiliary slot anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhotic;15208808
Plug your car into Crutchfield.. it pretty much tells you what to buy..
That's what I've been doing, but I still have no clue about quality/what to buy first etc. I'm quite clueless.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by refeek;15208847
Not one for fancy stuff. I only ever use my auxiliary slot anyways.

That's what I've been doing, but I still have no clue about quality/what to buy first etc. I'm quite clueless.
Make sure to get one with usb slot. Sound quality is so much better.

Also don't skimp on the parts. It's like skimping on a PSU, or monitor. Will only piss you off in the long run.

Also don't rush into this. Please research on car audio forums for brands and what not. It's similar to computers. You don't want to just throw money around on stuff you don't know about.

I will be worth it man.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I totally agree with Vrait and take the time to learn to do this stuff yourself. Do not pay someone to do this for you. It is pretty simple for the most part aside until you get into box design.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylepdalton;15208922
I totally agree with Vrait and take the time to learn to do this stuff yourself. Do not pay someone to do this for you. It is pretty simple for the most part aside until you get into box design.
Installing it yourself will save you a TON of cash. See if you have any friends who are into car audio. But take your time, and get all the right parts. Also don't rush when installing, plastic breaks easily. haha

1 - 20 of 73 Posts