1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automated Windows XP Installation

Software Required:

Windows XP Home/Pro SP1/SP2
CDImage Home Pro (Download either Home or Pro depending on which version you have) See Attachments
Burning software (I recommend Nero Burning Rom)

STEP 1: Create a directory called XPCD in your C:\\ drive.

STEP 2: Open C:\\XPCD click on TOOLS - FOLDER OPTIONS - VIEW and check the box that says Show hidden files and folders.

STEP 3: Copy the contents of the Windows XP CD into C:\\XPCD. It should look like the image below but dont worry if you dont have the $OEM$ folder.

STEP 4: Look in this folder C:\\XPCD\\SUPPORT\\TOOLS for a ZIP/RAR file called DEPLOY.
Use a decompression tool such as WinRAR to extract the compressed archive to a new folder on you desktop or anywhere you would like it to be. (DO NOT PUT IT C:\\XPCD)

STEP 5: Run the file called Setupmgr. This is a Wizard based file creation tool. Its easy to use and follow so I am not going to take you through it.
Below is the main things you need to know.

New or Existing Answer File: Create New
Type of Setup: Unattended Setup
Windows Product: Windows XP Home / Professional
User Interaction: Fully Automated
Distribution Share: Set up from CD

Go through the wizard filling in the information asked for. If you dont know what something is you can leave it blank and a default answer will be used.
Once you have gone through and agreed to the licence it will create a txt file called unattend.txt.

Change unattend.txt to winnt.sif

To do this open the txt document and go Save - Save File As and put "winnt.sif" and press return.

Copy winnt.sif to C:\\XPCD\\I386\\

STEP 6: Using CDImage create an ISO file. This is a one click tool created by AaronXP. Please read the readme for instructions.

STEP 7: Burn the ISO using your prefered burning software.

I have rewritten this guide for a simple automated install of XP only, so thanks go to AaronXP for all the info.
For a much more indepth guide to automating XP and installing other hardware during XP installation please check out http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/gettingstarted.htm

• Rep+
Reactions: Philwn

·
Banned
955 Posts
yea those are cool... i have a not so legal thing like this called nemesis 2.0... i dont feel bad since i have two legit winxp licenses and a copy of office which is exactly what this is... an optimized automized windows xp slipstream with sp2 and office included... it saves me hours this way... days if you count all of the things it does for you....

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I feel stupid, but what does an automated XP install do for you??

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
This is a nice guide, but for those using Windows XP Pro, none of these steps are necessary, as it already includes Automation ability for System Administrators. You can set it up to look for specific drivers, put in your CD key, install SP2, set-up your domain and usernames, etc. But having everything slip-streamed to a single disk is a very nice plus. This can also be done with Nero.

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

This is a nice guide, but for those using Windows XP Pro, none of these steps are necessary, as it already includes Automation ability for System Administrators. You can set it up to look for specific drivers, put in your CD key, install SP2, set-up your domain and usernames, etc. But having everything slip-streamed to a single disk is a very nice plus. This can also be done with Nero.

thats nothing.. .a truly automated install has EVERYTHING done... cdkey... sp2... drivers etc all on disk... just turn on the pc, put it in answer the very bare minimum questions and walk away...

EDIT: whoops i didnt see the very last part you said prior to my reply

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
bump on my question

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

bump on my question

Its so you dont have to baby sit the XP install process. You know you have to select a name for PC and your language settings and all the other junk... Well this lets you walk away go watch TV or make some dinner while the PC just gets on and installs XP for you.

Its even better when you spend the time making a massive bootable DVD with everythign including your GPU drivers mobo drivers directx norton nero firefox and anything else that can be automated.

It saves you loads of time sitting infront of the PC watching stuff install.

I am working on a massive Win XP DVD which will install all this...

Win XP + SP1
DirectX 9.0c
Nvidia Mobo Drivers
Nvidia 72.40 GPU Drivers
MS Office
Norton Antivirus
Firefox
Nero
WinRar
Mega Codec Pack 1.6

Im still working on it and im adding new stuff all the time.

• Rep+
Reactions: Cypz

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im at work and it soudned like a good idea for when we format we have entwork IP settings and everything. So ive followed through the guide and created one with all the settings. Installed it on a spare laptop and it works fine. All settings done. All i did was insert CD select Partition size and format NTFS and left it alone. no need to enter CD key time zone or anything. Good guide have a rep

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I really like that idea, how would I go about doing that? I know nothing about automating programs to auto install.

Lol, whoops, I'm talking about the DVD boot disk.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

I really like that idea, how would I go about doing that? I know nothing about automating programs to auto install.

Lol, whoops, I'm talking about the DVD boot disk.

Working on a automated XP DVD gets more complicated so I am working on a step by step guide to adding new content to the install.

Aarons site is great for info and its where I learnt how to do this but its kind of hard to follow since its not a step by step guide.

Anyways I should have this done soon.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Right on, I'll have the rep point at the ready.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
you should add how to integrate SATA drivers and a Service pack , i saw these on a site sum wher and did them v useful

·
Banned
955 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao
you should add how to integrate SATA drivers and a Service pack , i saw these on a site sum wher and did them v useful
yea drivers are crucial IMO... it is why i use the windows i use... because it has sata drivers which makes life much easier...

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another guide is slowley being put together on how to intergrate everything such as drivers a few programs into a fully autmoated install.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Excellent , i actually am thinking of making a Xp or serv2003 Disc with all the SATA drivers i can find on them (as wel as the latest Omega Drivers) also with firefox, [email protected] and most of the win updates on em

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK

Another guide is slowley being put together on how to intergrate everything such as drivers a few programs into a fully autmoated install.

Can't wait
Its to bad I odnt have a dvd drive and burner. I would love to have everything in one install because I tend to reinstall quite a bit. I do it for all my friends and we pretty much all the same sorta systems. ATI video card and other driver type things.

Kick butt Guide DeaDLocK!

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Realm_walker

Can't wait
Its to bad I odnt have a dvd drive and burner. I would love to have everything in one install because I tend to reinstall quite a bit. I do it for all my friends and we pretty much all the same sorta systems. ATI video card and other driver type things.

Kick butt Guide DeaDLocK!

A DVD is only used if you are sticking loads of stuff into the installation... You can make a XP + SP1 + GPU Drivers + Firefox...That will fit on a normal CD.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaDLocK
A DVD is only used if you are sticking loads of stuff into the installation... You can make a XP + SP1 + GPU Drivers + Firefox...That will fit on a normal CD.
yes and there is a lot of crap u can cut out - eg the migrate/upgrade folder from the i386 folder <as long a u dont plan to use this as a upgrade disk>, the printers the docs and the other languages

1 - 20 of 20 Posts