Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Vegas lately, but it has some major issues with AVI files. I've tried codecs and everything, and it seems that it simply isn't meant for videos of that type (or anything not professional, for that matter).

Can you guys suggest any simple avi movie editors?

Other than WMM, and money isn't a problem.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Wow. You would expect from a video editor to at least work properly with the most common video format in editing.

I didn't have problems using AVI files with Vegas, but try out Premiere Pro CS4 Or Premiere Elements. I've been using Premiere Pro ever since 1.5.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I've read up on it and apparently the idea is:

Vegas = Professional, high end
avi videos = Not professional, not high end

Some avi's work, but most have an error with identification where Vegas only recognizes the audio. So when trying to add effects to Clerks, all I get is the audio. Pretty annoying.

I'll try your suggestion.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWolfe View Post
Well I've read up on it and apparently the idea is:

Vegas = Professional, high end
avi videos = Not professional, not high end

Some avi's work, but most have an error with identification where Vegas only recognizes the audio. So when trying to add effects to Clerks, all I get is the audio. Pretty annoying.

I'll try your suggestion.
The AVI isn't a video format but a container. The video track inside (and the audio track also) can be encoded with several codecs. When you play it on windows, the media player reads the type of encoding and search the OS for the 2 requested codecs (video and audio). If the requested codecs aren't available on your pc, the player isn't capable to show it (video, audio or both).

I don't know Vegas very well, but if it doesn't use the OS installed codecs (but use own codecs), installing the missing codecs on the PC doesn't help.
If it uses the OS codecs, all that you need is to install the missing codec.

In order to check what's the problem, try to play the video with the Windows Media Player. If you can see it, Vegas doesn't uses OS codecs. If you can't see the video also with the media player, try to install the missing codec on the OS.

You can discover what is the used codec reading the video with the GSpot free program.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
I've had problems with some AVI files in Vegas but not all. Are you using the latest version of Sony Vegas (9.0c)? You could try converting the AVI to another program with a program such as MediaCoder (which can convert it to pretty much any other format).
By the way, to clear things up, Vegas uses its own set of codecs, not OS codecs or codecs from packs like ffmpeg.
-xd

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I've had problems with some AVI files in Vegas but not all. Are you using the latest version of Sony Vegas (9.0c)? You could try converting the AVI to another program with a program such as MediaCoder (which can convert it to pretty much any other format).
By the way, to clear things up, Vegas uses its own set of codecs, not OS codecs or codecs from packs like ffmpeg.
-xd

I can play all my avi's in VLC and WMP, so it's a problem with Vegas, not my codecs. I would convert them, except if I want to add some minor changes to, lets say, a 2 hour long movie, then the converting takes HOURS for just one video.

I'm going to see if Adobe offers a better solution.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Vegas uses VFW to play (most) AVIs. WMV uses DirectShow to play AVIs.

Yes, it is most likely a problem with your codecs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts