Overclock.net banner

should threads be locked after 6 months?

• yes- all threads should be locked after ~6 months

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • no- threads should never be locked

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • kind of- only news threads should be locked after ~6 months

Votes: 6 40.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe lock threads that have been inactive for 6 months, they will still be able to be viewed just not bumped to the top... this would really help the news section and i imagine it wouldn't be too bad for regular threads as well

leave your comments, poll was closed because its in this section

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
I agree this is very annoying

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
don't lock threads...

that just means people will have to start new ones instead of carrying on old ones.

if there is a thread where no one has replyed to it then yes it should be locked/Deleted after 6 months.

·
Hardware Aficionado
821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BKsMassive View Post
don't lock threads...

that just means people will have to start new ones instead of carrying on old ones.

if there is a thread where no one has replyed to it then yes it should be locked/Deleted after 6 months.
agree w/ this - having ancient news threads necro bumped is annoying though, locking them is not a bad idea imo.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BKsMassive View Post
don't lock threads...

They shouldn't be deleted in any case (IMO). Many threads contain info that should stay.

About the only thing I agree with is locking the news threads after a year. (not 6 months..)

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twich12 View Post
maybe lock threads that have been inactive for 6 months, they will still be able to be viewed just not bumped to the top... this would really help the news section and i imagine it wouldn't be too bad for regular threads as well

vote in poll for yes or no
You mean like this?

·
Premium Member
14,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
You mean like this?
Bah, who'd want to know THAT?

First, per the Suggestions rules polls are not needed (or allowed) in Suggestion thread.

Second, bumping is not always a bad thing and locking threads removes any chance of a valid bump. One suggestion I have seen that I did like was if you were going to post in a thread that was older than 3 months (arbitrary number) you would be taken to a page explaining "This thread has been inactive for [insert time of inactivity here]. Are you sure you want to post this? Remember that reviving old threads for no purpose can warrant and infraction." or something along those lines.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Poll is now closed by another senior mod, you guys can stop reporting it now.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

Bah, who'd want to know THAT?

First, per the Suggestions rules polls are not needed (or allowed) in Suggestion thread.

Second, bumping is not always a bad thing and locking threads removes any chance of a valid bump. One suggestion I have seen that I did like was if you were going to post in a thread that was older than 3 months (arbitrary number) you would be taken to a page explaining "This thread has been inactive for [insert time of inactivity here]. Are you sure you want to post this? Remember that reviving old threads for no purpose can warrant and infraction." or something along those lines.

sorry
, i think that locking news threads after 6 months would be a good idea, simply because why would we need old news to be bumped to the top again for everyone to see? if some one has a question about news that is >6 months old they should probably just start a new thread with that as the main topic, instead of having to search through the entire thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

You mean like this?

maybe not regular threads but i see no reason that thread shouldn't be locked (it would still be able to be viewed just not bumped, which is what has been happening to it anyways)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts