Overclock.net banner

Avoiding condensation

3524 Views 51 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Carlyle2020
In order to avoid condensation, is it as simple as making sure the coolant temperature doesn't drop below the ambient temperature? I'm curious because I'd like to create a shroud, or cold-box, to place around my mora, and see if I can drop temps to near-ambient during overclocking, using a standing A/C unit that I have. Though I'm not entirely sure it will prevent condensation all together, because only the mora would be placed in the cold-box, and not the rest of my bench setup. Which means fittings and cpu/gpu blocks would be exposed to higher ambient temperatures than what would be inside the cold-box, right?
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· Registered
4,127 Posts
Evaporerative cooling can get you under ambient, look at the bong cooler thread.

Not so sure if it can get you under dew point.

(Evap is phase change though…)
Well technically yes but no it wont go under dew point its crazy big inefficient and honestly not worth.

· Registered
57 Posts
No you absolutely do.... You will absolutely never go below ambient temperature without somekind of phase change
:)
Remember the old 'Bong Cooler' days?

Here's a fellow cooling a TEC, cooling a CPU OCd to 1580 MHz! :D

• Idle: -14C
  • Load: 4C
  • Coolant 4C below ambient in reservoir.

So yes; below ambient IS possible with evaporative cooling.

So:
6 mins in
Through a rad..?
(To avoid the whole: Algae build-up and no cooling when all the water's evaporated thing..?

Soz; I'm derailing tread here

· Registered
4,127 Posts
:)
Remember the old 'Bong Cooler' days?

Here's a fellow cooling a TEC, cooling a CPU OCd to 1580 MHz! :D

• Idle: -14C
  • Load: 4C
  • Coolant 4C below ambient in reservoir.

So yes; below ambient IS possible with evaporative cooling.

So:
6 mins in
Through a rad..?
(To avoid the whole: Algae build-up and no cooling when all the water's evaporated thing..?

Soz; I'm derailing tread here
I mean technically you are lowering the ambient in the bong cooler which cools pc. So it is ambient technically.

· Registered
57 Posts
I mean technically you are lowering the ambient in the bong cooler which cools pc. So it is ambient technically.
ah... :)
Er... no; below ambient of the room would be 'Sub Ambient' in any argument IMHO.

But point is:
With a 100% efficient Evap Cooler; you just cant ever go below the dew point as that's the point at which water vapour in the air starts condensing out.. NOT evaporating into the air...

And much cheaper than refrigeration tech and dew point sensors etc.

· Registered
4,127 Posts
ah... :)
Er... no; below ambient of the room would be 'Sub Ambient' in any argument IMHO.

But point is:
With a 100% efficient Evap Cooler; you just cant ever go below the dew point as that's the point at which water vapour in the air starts condensing out.. NOT evaporating into the air...

And much cheaper than refrigeration tech and dew point sensors etc.
I really beed to stay off of here early in the am lol. Tf was i thinking.

· Robotic Chemist
4,478 Posts
Won’t the AC unit will also remove moisture from the air? Most do anyway…
The problem with relying on that effect is that if you turn off the AC or some non-AC air gets in water will condense on everything cold until it gets above the dew point.

You don't get puddles, but that does not mean it is safe.

· Robotic Chemist
4,478 Posts
It will still condense all over everything as soon as you turn it off, even if the system is off it is not good having water condense on it. :)

· Twin Turbski
2,313 Posts
Use a box fan and put the computer outside when you want to bench (winter months). That way you will be mitigating the condensation on two different fronts.

· Registered
73 Posts
I currently test a selfmade tec gpu backplate for next gen with a 3080ti.

I circumvent condensation issues by using a weak tec that i turn on on 5 minutes after i start gaming and turn it off 3 minutes before i stop.

Like a 120watt colling boost during gaming without the chance of condensation - IF done according to plan.

Hood Motor vehicle Circuit component Electrical wiring Computer hardware

The issue i have is that i want to fully fill the gap between gpu backplate and pcb with thermal putty that does not sweat out so much silicone that it leaves tiny air filled bubbles in the putty afterwards.

Any suggestions other than that "painters cleaning putty". That is only good for insulation. I need heat transfer as well.

K5-pro (new formula) is what i currently use.

Does anybody know another testworthy thermal putty?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.