Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Pretty sure there's no issue running mismatched gpus/monitors, can't really confirm as i've only had the gsync version with an nvidia card, but i think plenty of folks opted for the cheaper freesync version as they only care about 240hz but are running an nvidia gpu.

·
►¿¿¿
2,264 Posts
.. whats the problem here?, that post is just pointing out the differences between them, and what to do to get full function of each one

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
* If you currently have an AMD video card, your options are to remove the AMD video card and install a Nvidia video card. Or, return the AW2518H and purchase the AW2518HF

* If you currently have a Nvidia video card, your options are to remove the Nvidia video card and install an AMD video card. Or, return the AW2518HF and purchase the AW2518H

·
►¿¿¿
2,264 Posts
Its pretty much a given, that that text, is in order to get full functionality of said monitor models, i havent clicked or read the reference links but ill ... assume something there hints at it too

·
Banned
8,804 Posts
Doesn't look fishy at all to you, if 240Hz can be enabled only with a specific brand GPU?
It sounds strange because we're not used to seeing that kind of discrimination in displays, but the reason could be technological, regarding the scalers. I wouldn't know; I'm no expert. But it's pointless to assert anything unless someone knowledgeable chimes in.

·
►¿¿¿
2,264 Posts
Doesn't look fishy at all to you, if 240Hz can be enabled only with a specific brand GPU?
Nowhere in the specs sheets PDF did i find that it did not work at 240hz with a AMD GPU, for the G-sync version.

Obviously you wont have G-sync available, or anything that g-sync requires, but surely you can slap it to 240hz with no adaptive sync, no ULMB, or anything else, just good "old" 240hz.

Same for freesync, ill assume.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This "to attain 240Hz" You should use AMD card!

The AW2518HF was only designed to function correctly with AMD video cards and AMD FreeSync to attain 240Hz. This is prominently stated on the Dell AW2518HF sales page and in the User's Guide

·
►¿¿¿
2,264 Posts
Odd wording, but still looking over the spec sheets for either one it does not say anywhere it requires amd or nvidia gpus to actually run the 240hz

Most likely just to avoid returns from people who dont know the difference

1 - 10 of 10 Posts