Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a small simple guide to help those that are not too confident about flashing their bios. This particular guide is specifically for Award Bios using Award Winflash bios flashing utility. Notice I did it on a DFI Lanparty UT NF3 board, but this can process will be exactly the same for any motherboard using award bios. The same Award Winflash utility can be used, the only difference will be the Bios file that you have to find and download.

Before we can start, you have to download Award Winflash, which is the program that does the flashing job, and then your new bios file, which you'll most likely find at your motherboard manufacturer's website, in my case DFI Lanparty UT Bios Official 9/14.

After you download Award Winflash install it, and then if your motherboard bios came in a zip file, proceed to extract the files to your desktop. Now we're ready to flash the bios.

1. Run Award Winflash - View Picture

2. After your run Award Winflash you should see this: - View Picture

3. Then on the left hand side put check marks on Clear Cmos, Dmi Area, and Boot Block. - View Picture

4. When you check those options, go to file on the top left and then click open. - View Picture

5. Then proceed to look for the bios file that you previously downloaded from your motherboard manufacturer's website and then extracted to your desktop. And after you select it, click open. - View Picture

6. After doing that go back to File on the top left and then click update bios . - View Picture

7. Sometimes a window will pop up asking you if you want to load the binary file. If that happens say no and then you should get a window in the following picture. Click Update. - View Picture

8. After that step, the bios will update. Do not do anything while this is going on, and then a windows will pop up asking you if you want to Reboot. Click Reboot. - View Picture

9. After your computer reboots you can just go back into your bios and overclock again or configure whatever you had done in there previously because the flash will clear your cmos.

I put links instead of pictures so the thread doesnt kill 56k users.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
i get an error saying "please load correect bios file." what gives? i just DL'd the newest bios version from the ECS website. got any ideas/suggesions?
LL

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic
i get an error saying "please load correect bios file." what gives? i just DL'd the newest bios version from the ECS website. got any ideas/suggesions?
This might sound stupid... But did you unpack the file??? Bios come in zip files for the most part, and winflash wont be able to use that. You need to extract and use the actual binary file. That's all I can think of.

Also ECS has all that K7VSA, K7VMA, K7AMA, and then they have revision numbers.. Doublecheck that you're getting the right bios.

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Epic...

Just find a Winflash version for your OS. Be careful when you flash your BIOS in Windows, because if the OS stops responding for whatever reason you may end up with a dead motherboard. Also, make sure you know the exact make and model of your board (so as to uses the correct BIOS file).

Edit: Since it's a pre-built PC, flashing the BIOS may void the warranty on it, if you care for such things.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reLm View Post
could i do this on a dell mobo?
Relm, I sort of think it depends on the model of the machine. On Dell's driver page they do sometimes include the "newest" BIOS release for that specific model. Their procedure for flashing the BIOS may be different. To search for your BIOS go here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx. I'd recommend entering in the Service Tag. This number is usually on a sticker located either on the back of the case or on the right side of the case.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts