Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Im finally gonna get another heatsink and fan for my setup... only asking here cause I wanna get actual proof from people who have actually owned it and used it for more than a few hours... and no, just not quite enough money for my custom watercooling setup yet... besides, Ill be building almost all the parts myself when I move this summer so Ill be sure to post back at that time

anyway, Im looking for a hsf that can be attacked like the stock intel hsf, if possible... just dont want to have to take out the mobo, remove lots of crap, and remount everything, blah blah... I really wanna talk to someone who has a similar processor and can keep their idles no higher than 32 c, as mine already are now, and keep their loads below 45 c, preferably 40 c so I can have lots of headroom... with this new hsf Im also planning on maintaining a 24/7 overclock of 3.8 ghz and I dont wanna go above 55 c, period... I have some other things Im using to keep everything cool so the only thing Im looking at right now is a recommended hsf

Ive been looking at some zalmans... but of course the thermalrights look good as well... if you do have a heatsink you think fits, make sure to tell me what fan youve got attached... cause Id like to have the biggest, most powerful possible... noise isnt really an issue

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, not everyone knows, that may help... lol

its socket 478

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
i used the "Thermaltake" polo 735 extreme cooler and it worked good...not great but good...dropped my temps from 55-60 under load to 45-50 depending on fan speed, and it attaches to the oem intel hsf mounting bracket.....i have since switched to a tower style(Tt silent tower) and have gotten much better temps with it...40-42 load temps with fans on medium...can get down to 38 or so if i crank up the fans....if your not gonna try to push your cpu to much the polo cooler will do ya fine....otherwise i would go with a tower style or xp90-120 ...either style will get ya max cooling on air.
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/c...35/polo735.htm
polo735....sells for 35-45 dollars.....
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/c...ilentTower.htm
silent tower(i'm using this one now)...sells for 40-50 dollars

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thermaltakes stuff just wont cut it

Ive been looking at the xp-120 for a long time but I dont want to have to do anything to my setup... Ive taken it apart and redone everything too many times to have to do it again... I just wanna take off the stock intel hsf and put on another one... no jerry rigging, disassembling, etc... the xp-120 just may be a bit too large for my case anyway, dont wanna risk parts on the mobo for a small decrease anyway... only thing I really want it for is for overclocked temps, my temps now are great and even overclocking are still great... I just wanna get a bit lower for even more headroom

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

Ive been looking at the xp-120 for a long time but I dont want to have to do anything to my setup... Ive taken it apart and redone everything too many times to have to do it again... I just wanna take off the stock intel hsf and put on another one... no jerry rigging, disassembling, etc... the xp-120 just may be a bit too large for my case anyway, dont wanna risk parts on the mobo for a small decrease anyway... only thing I really want it for is for overclocked temps, my temps now are great and even overclocking are still great... I just wanna get a bit lower for even more headroom

i have a few different opinions on thermaltake stuff.....their hsf's are usually pretty good.....i was very happy with the polo....until i really started pushing the system after upgrading my ram...... with the polo i could run at 3.6 (240x15) with no problems....when i upped the speed to 3.75 or more(250+x15) the polo would need to run full speed fan to keep it under 50c....thats when i switched to the tower style(that and i found it on sale for 24.95...lol)...and have been very happy with it so far.....as for Tt's electronics(fan controllers and stuff) they SUCK.....

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut

I the Cooler Master Aero 4 (478) and i never go over 35°C, but its a northwood.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoonDockSt27
I too am looking for a socket 478 heatsink/fan that can be attached to the stock retension clip... if thats even possible.
get the xp-90 or 120. the 775 kit is like 5 dollars. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PCnerd2357
I the Cooler Master Aero 4 (478) and i never go over 35°C, but its a northwood.
Hahahaha, You can say 35c and say its a Northwood... But don't forget its a Celeron! lol
Personally, I would say the XP-120... or if you really wanna go hardcore and do the exact opposite of what your not wanting to do (part out) just get the Aero-cool Deep Impact 102. I'm getting 30cidle, and 40c load with a 2.4 Prescott running at 4.014Ghz with 1.465Vcore.
It'll only run you about $40-50, and mean you'll have to remove your motherboard, but it will be well worth it.... Very well worth it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I will look at the xp120 but I am only gonna oc to MAYBE 3.6 and I Doubt even that prolly 3.4, neways I was looking at the polo on tigerdirect.com and Im guessing that it will come with the stuff to mount it directly to the intel retension clip?

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
awesome thanks man, thats exactly what I'm looking for

Thx again

in your profile it says 45 idle 55 load, I think it was? my temps are at that with crappy thermal paste and stock hs/fan, hoping w/ this I will see around 42c/52cIsh? plan on ocing to 3.2 or close to 4 depending on how the temps go.

ordered arctic s5 today and ill order that asap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts