Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...lem_its_limits

Here is a little help for everyone that is actually trying to understand the science behind over clocking and not just ask people for BIOS settings... after reading this guide I have been able to OC and become stable without having to waste everyone’s time with my newb questions like "what is the best setting for 3.8 GHz?" there is allot of people here with great knowledge that they have picked up after doing this stuff for years, instead of milking them for info let’s try to help these guys out by adding to overclock.net's base of knowledge so that we can use the experts for more technical questions instead of the easy stuff. (I’m guilty of this as well)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eh, I think that last guide posted is for something old school, like a P4 or an early core. It definitely isn't for the i7.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Its a good intro guide, but maximum pc screwed up in a fair amount of areas... They used an es chip, and thus had the wrong idea about turbo and qpi/mem multis from their intel board and locked es chip. Regular i7s run with turbo on for all threads, not just 1, and qpi and ram multis are unlocked on all i7s, not just the extreme.

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cky2k6 View Post
They used an es chip, and thus had the wrong idea about turbo and qpi/mem multis from their intel board and locked es chip. Regular i7s run with turbo on for all threads, not just 1, and qpi and ram multis are unlocked on all i7s, not just the extreme.
I honestly think that they may have written the article a long ago, but just published it now. The fact that they have the ES chip kind of suggests that it was right before it came out and they were just slow putting the article up.

If memory serves me, the original idea was to lock the memory/qpi multipliers but intel decided against it before the final release.

·
Iconoclast
31,560 Posts
Article was only special with regard to the number of errors it contained.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cky2k6
View Post

Its a good intro guide, but maximum pc screwed up in a fair amount of areas... They used an es chip, and thus had the wrong idea about turbo and qpi/mem multis from their intel board and locked es chip. Regular i7s run with turbo on for all threads, not just 1, and qpi and ram multis are unlocked on all i7s, not just the extreme.

Yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpavur
View Post

i see, however i think this guide still lays a good foundation to us rookies that are new to the OC scene. allthough some things are wrong there is allot of good information we can take from this.

Better information has been avilable far longer.

maybe the MPC article as some merity for the lazy OCers looking for a canned 3.6-3.8GHz, but anyone who applies just a little extra effort int heir research will endup with a better understanding and a better OC.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpavur
View Post

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...lem_its_limits

Here is a little help for everyone that is actually trying to understand the science behind over clocking and not just ask people for BIOS settings... after reading this guide I have been able to OC and become stable without having to waste everyone’s time with my newb questions like "what is the best setting for 3.8 GHz?" there is allot of people here with great knowledge that they have picked up after doing this stuff for years, instead of milking them for info let’s try to help these guys out by adding to overclock.net's base of knowledge so that we can use the experts for more technical questions instead of the easy stuff. (I’m guilty of this as well)

This is and old article, but still it is a kick ass one as well. I go to MaxPC every day and I always read the new articles. +rep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts