Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of you have noticed the HPCS team on a meteoric rise recently, with a 1.5million PPD.

I signed up for the beta with a clear explanation that I was going to use their services to test folding. OCN, say hello to your brand new HPCS server
biggrin.gif
I'm looking to setup the service this weekend and we can see what kind of PPD we can get out of this bad boy.

EDIT:
Although, I should mention the following restrictions:
2. We request you limit your HP Cloud Compute usage to 5 instances.

3. Limit HP Cloud Object Storage usage to 2TB of total data across the account.

4. Only use this beta for testing purposes. No production workloads should be hosted on the system at this time.

Number 4 is what worries me the most.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
1.5mil PPD? Try 40mil PPD. :p

Also, someone else posted the same thread. ;)

EDIT: About #4. In the application, I pointed out it would be for [email protected], which would result in 100% load, and they still let me in, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac View Post

1.5mil PPD? Try 40mil PPD.
tongue.gif

Also, someone else posted the same thread.
wink.gif

EDIT: About #4. In the application, I pointed out it would be for [email protected], which would result in 100% load, and they still let me in, so I wouldn't worry about it.
smile.gif
They let you in? I really have been out of the loop.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Only just let me in a couple of hours ago. And I need a credit card to activate it (which I don't have), so I'll need to wait until tomorrow. :p

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyap7 View Post

Z, looks like you, me, and kubed_zero are going to have fun setting it all up this weekend
biggrin.gif

Same about the credit card.
I'm trying to get Digigami to TV over to kubed and get him set up. Then we'd have someone to talk us through it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_cannonfodder View Post

I've signed up now as well.
Took a month or so before they expanded the beta for me to get it; probably the same for you.

Quote:

Oh, and, Z, when does HPCS become a category in the team folding comp?
tongue.gif
No.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good. Shouldn't be too hard, it says it's open-source so I'm assuming some kind of Linux-based variant. Just a matter of installing the client and getting it to run on all 16 processors
biggrin.gif

So, counting low, and assuming we each get about 30-35 million PPD, that should be about 90-105million extra for OCN, which will put us right up there at #1
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Watching the video, it looks like when you connect to the server you're in the terminal on the sevrer (assuming you installed Ubuntu). So we should just be able to follow instructions on it normally.

Also, no. We're not each gonna get 30mil. :p

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
I dunno; I think the options were:

Ubuntu v11.04

Ubuntu v10.10 Server

Ubuntu v10.04 LTS

There were others too, but I didn't recognise them.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll look into it.

One less enjoyable idea: what happens when we have to start paying for them? :/

EDIT:
Also, I've searched a bit on the other top folding teams, and so far haven't seen anyone posting saying they got an invite too.
May have overlooked though because it was a quick, 5 minute search.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:

Eh, it's ok, I actually prefer the command line to a GUI interface when working in Linux. I can never find what I want in the GUI
tongue.gif
Right, but other folks might not know much about the command line options and how to keep the application running after you close out of SSH. Or not want to keep their SSH window open the entire time they are folding.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Considering signing up to see if I can get my hands on one of these too
tongue.gif
Even if I can fold it for 1 day it would still give me a good push towards my first 1million points
redface.gif

1 - 20 of 33 Posts