Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So my friend's laptop keeps getting the blue screen before it even reaches the login screen. Unfortunately, it is using Windows XP. Now, I don't have a copy of XP, so I wondering if I could use my Windows 7 cd to repair it. And I also don't want to risk losing any files because she said all of her wedding pictures are on there. So, is it possible?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would use a data recovery software to recover any files you want to save onto a Flash drive or backup hard drive. Then fresh install windows.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecubemaster
View Post

I would use a data recovery software to recover any files you want to save onto a Flash drive or backup hard drive. Then fresh install windows.

what do you mean? I can't install anything if i can't even get into windows?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i would plug the laptop drive in the PC and then boot off of your own drive copy the files. alternatively i would use a linux live cd on the laptop and copy the the HDD files onto a really big flashdrive or something.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by labbu63
View Post

i would plug the laptop drive in the PC and then boot off of your own drive copy the files. alternatively i would use a linux live cd on the laptop and copy the the HDD files onto a really big flashdrive or something.

i was going to try that, but it's a weird connection. it isn't sata. i think i'll use a linux live cd

·
Registered
500 Posts
The best way would be to boot the computer from a flash drive, whether with windows or there are quite a few free tools you can download online that are usually linux based. you can then recover files from your hard drive and format it.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by labbu63
View Post

This might be your best bet. It's what I would do.

EDIT:
Never mind, just saw your reply to labbu.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Boot to Linux Live CD
Pull all files off the Laptop
Format, Fresh Install Windows
If Blue Screens Persist, launch out nearest window unless you're under warranty. [Doubt it, with Windows XP and all]

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks you guys, i'm gonna try the linux live boot. but I am perplexed by the hard drive considering the laptop is like 4 years old. It's weird

anybody know how to do it from a flash drive?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok. one more question. Anybody know where I can get a copy of XP? My friend lost the CD and I saw the microsoft sticker on the bottom.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SalisburySteak
View Post

ok. one more question. Anybody know where I can get a copy of XP? My friend lost the CD and I saw the microsoft sticker on the bottom.

The cheapest (legal) way would probably be to contact the computer manufacture, and purchase a replacement disc.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecubemaster
View Post

The cheapest (legal) way would probably be to contact the computer manufacture, and purchase a replacement disc.

eh. I'll try converting her.
... or find a friend who happens to have a copy lol

Thanks everybody! +Rep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts