Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just buying another GTX 480 to SLI but I was wondering if it will fit with the AXP cooler it seems very close as you can see in pic below.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I fit both of my 580s with those coolers on them in my HAF 932 as well. There is a pic in my public profile of it if you want to see.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth0789;15252484
Just buying another GTX 480 to SLI but I was wondering if it will fit with the AXP cooler it seems very close as you can see in pic below.
Judging from the pics you show, it seems the top card will not come into conflict with the bottom card. However, its cooling performance will obviously reduced due to insufficient clearance between them. Aftermarket coolers like to have at least 1 empty slot space in between. (Traditional cooling design with 'front-centrifugal-intake-fan-and-rear exhaust' is more tolerable and can handle no empty space much better.)

The bottom card has two additional challenges. It will have to clear with the USB cable header and the front panel I/O Power/Reset header along the bottom edge of the motherboard. See orange circles in pic below. It will also have to clear the PSU below.

I suggest:- take out the top card (already with AXP installed) and move it to the lower (white) PCIEx16 slot to check for these 2 challenges.

If the bottom card passes the 2 challenges, it will still be a tight fit. And the cooling performance will also, just like the top card, be reduced. You can keep the card in this lower slot and run some tests to check the thermal numbers. This will be an early estimate of the final thermal performance.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
will it fit yes...

but you will need some good air flow in your case...

otherwise the top card will run just as hot or hotter then the standard cooler...

i know this from experience...

side fans help alot...

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys just waiting until my GTX 480 comes.

I received my AXP II today.
smile.gif

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here they are.
smile.gif

y5YBE.jpg

6rwhU.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Some 'before' and 'after' thermal numbers would be interesting, ie with just one card vs with 2 cards.

I am curious how much impact the restrictive airflow has on the cooling performance of the AXP II.

I must say the scenery is beautiful!
If they are really 'hot' babes, at least winter is coming.
biggrin.gif

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

The top card runs way hotter like around 62c and the lower one runs cooler at 50c.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth0789;15300648
Thanks!

The top card runs way hotter like around 62c and the lower one runs cooler at 50c.
On one hand, 12C delta between the top and the bottom card is quite normal.
On the other hand, the bottom card has 2 of the 3 fans 'blocked' and so its intake airflow is almost as restrictive as the top card.

BTW, do not forget to put the SLI bridge back as I do not see it in the pic.

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth0789;15300648
Thanks!

Looking good
cool.gif

I get 69c and 57c when I max my cards out playing BF-3
wink.gif

But yeah, that's with them both pegged at 99% usage
proof.gif

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just played Crysis 2 and something isn't right my GPU 1 got up to 75c isn't that way to hot?

Fan speed is at 100% for both...

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth0789;15306424
Just played Crysis 2 and something isn't right my GPU 1 got up to 75c isn't that way to hot?

Fan speed is at 100% for both...
The max temp for the GTX480 is 105c
thinking.gif

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5;15306561
The max temp for the GTX480 is 105c
thinking.gif
Oh really?

I didn't think it would get that hot.

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anth0789
View Post

Oh really?

I didn't think it would get that hot.

It won't get that hot, with a bit of luck

But yeah, they're rated upto 105c

·
PC Evangelist
47,495 Posts
My HD 6970s have AXP. I also played Crysis 2, Top card 72C, Bottom 54C. Not the best coolers for CFX or SLI but at least they are silent. Same setup with Stock cookers i got 78C Top card and for some reason 84C bottom card.

• Rep+
Reactions: Anth0789

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er;15347724
My HD 6970s have AXP. I also played Crysis 2, Top card 72C, Bottom 54C. Not the best coolers for CFX or SLI but at least they are silent. Same setup with Stock cookers i got 78C Top card and for some reason 84C bottom card.
hm.... silent is so nice though
tongue.gif

my 480s didn't overheat with the stock cooling...

but i love quiet pc

·
Initializing...
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now that winter is coming the temps will go down.
tongue.gif

·
PC Evangelist
47,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth0789;15348364
Now that winter is coming the temps will go down.
tongue.gif
Thats true. I am thinking of mounting a Air Penetrator in the end of the card to push air to the back. Or maybe just crease Positive Air pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts