Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

There is very few reviews about this boards. The ones that are on the internet for e.g YT, shows just a small differences (1-2 celsius degrees) in favour of Tomahawk.

Aorus pro has almost twice as many USB as tomahawk. But it's missing front USB-C header.

I'm not a hardcore overclocker. Will probably just use XMP and PBO.

Which board is easier to use? for e.g. Stable BIOS and customer care from company.

I want to buy a board for 3700x and probably 4800x in future. Which motherboard from this two would be a better choice?
Is there anything good/bad about specific board that I should know?

I'm open to a discussion.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Either pay extra for X570 TUF or save by getting B450 from MSI. B550 on its current prices have literally no sense.

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,534 Posts
MSI's BIOS is much better than Gigabyte's IMO.

VRM won't matter because just a 3700X will not be a problem for either board.

The Tomahawk has dual LAN but too few USB ports even for my standards (I don't use USB ports other than mouse+KB+1x thumb drive)

Yeah, I'd go with the X570 Tomahawk to be honest. It's 205 EUR vs 180 EUR for the B550.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm trying to avoid x570 as my TUF had some problems with it's chipset fan. Also x570 tomahawk is not available.
I know that B550s are unfortunately preety pricy.

For me there is no need for two LAN's, also USB ports are probably not a problem in tomahawk. That's why it's hard for me to decide which one to go for.

If you had to just choose one of this two, which one would you go for?

·
Edgy & on the edge
1,534 Posts
If I had to go for a crappy B550, I'd not choose either of them. I'd go with a Strix B550-F or something.

But if you absolutely MUST choose between these two, the Tomahawk.

·
Vandelay Industries
1,924 Posts
Sounds like you've already made up your mind and are looking for confirmation, which you've already received...sorta.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you've already made up your mind and are looking for confirmation, which you've already received...sorta.
That's kinda right. I have had two x570 which had fan problems (might be just fault mobos) - so I'm trying to avoid x570.
I want to get something "new" which will be suitable for better CPU in future and has PCIe 4.0 if I decide to change GPU in future or get NVMe 4.0. That's why I want to get B550.
I have choosen this 2 MOBOs as they are on the "cheaper side" - if you can say so with their prices.

I didn't made up my mind between tomahawk vs aorus pro, that's why I came here to ask people who have way greater knowledge than me in this topic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also trying to decide between these two boards. Currently leaning towards the Aorus pro because of slightly higher advertised ram speeds (silly I know) I also feel 2.5+1 gigabit network is kind of pointless. I can get the Aorus Pro AC for same price as the tomahawk, and 2.5gb + wifi/bt seem more useful. Last but not least I have better experience with Gigabyte than with MSI.

The Aorus Pro only support sata m.2 in the first m.2 slot, but I don't mind that.

Guess I will have to ram qvl for the cheapest supported fast memory before I make my final decision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gigabyte. Better audio chip with amp , more usb, better fan controls in bios, nicer bios (imo, but thats unpopular opinion)

Only problem with GB atm is they stealth OCing the CPU (power reporting deviation thing) but that will be fixed in bios updates I suppose (all others done it.. so I guess GB will follow suit)

·
R2D2C4Z9
139 Posts
nicer bios (imo, but thats unpopular opinion)
I'm also like it, because i spend less time to find my things there as everything is logically categorized rather thematically aggregated. But MSI mouse support in bios kinda nice, useless but nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was in the same spot as you, but I settled for Aorus Pro. It looks like they are very comparable in terms of OC capability, but Gigabyte offers much more I/O which I think is crucial and was my main point for the Aorus.

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
I was in the same spot as you, but I settled for Aorus Pro. It looks like they are very comparable in terms of OC capability, but Gigabyte offers much more I/O which I think is crucial and was my main point for the Aorus.
What RAM do you have it paired? Got a cheap GSkill D-die 3600 CL16 2X8Gb running at rated spec using DOCP. Same with my MSI A320M, which ran 3 different RAM kits using DOCP. Although i have a rather good experience with my Asus boards, none of them behave the same as these two brands. Fortunately, there is the DRAM Calculator.

The B550M Auros Pro i have came with BIOS F1. May have to keep it since it is running without issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have decided to go with Aorus Pro - same as tomahawk but more USB ports. So far no complaints.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have decided to go with Aorus Pro - same as tomahawk but more USB ports. So far no complaints.
Hello, i have the same board but will be getting a cpu 1st september (3300x for a placeholder until zen3). Anything i should look out for? Have you tried manual memory overclocking?
I honestly went for it because there was a steam wallet coupon promotion, so it was basically 20 euro cheaper than Tomahawk. But i am slightly worried because i have seen reports of usb ports issues.
Please tell if you have some insight, thank you 🙂

·
Overclock the World
1,901 Posts
EDIT:
uhh i'm necro'ing this thread, sorry
Neither of them
check this document
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PuUWroxA0HvSSipsXlB8hnYkshxD8LdeO5EA6WLdOQw/edit#gid=0
PBO or no PBO, you want low ripple Mosfets
Only Renesas and Infineon for B550 are alright
The rest is the same if not w*rse g*rbage to B350 boards
Vishay Renesas lineup are bad, and Onsemi is absolutely ***, well it's bad it really is :D

X570 tomahawk looks to be a great choice once it is available, as it also has a TB3 header
else, B450 steel legend most of the times is far higher spec'd then this lineup we have here
X570 TUF is a 6 phase with doublers 50A SiC639 ~ VRPower lineup as a rebrand of Vishay units

Many boards likely . . . hopefully, have good heatsinks
But this are mediocre at best solutions. Quality Mosfets are something else :D
The thermals are working well for marketing, seems like the investion into heatsinks instead of a more quality VRM setup ~ does it's job for reviewers :thinking:

Check the list, and you'll see about 5 boards out of 30+ which are acceptable for their specs
A better DAC on a noisy environment won't resolve the issue but only go around the issue with better filters
Never invest in onboard audio :)
My interest atm is the ITX AX lineup , the only boards with 90A Renesas powerstages ~ even tho Renesas has a lot of bad units, this ones at least on half the powerdraw should be efficient enough for delivering low ripple

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
Hello, i have the same board but will be getting a cpu 1st september (3300x for a placeholder until zen3). Anything i should look out for? Have you tried manual memory overclocking?
I honestly went for it because there was a steam wallet coupon promotion, so it was basically 20 euro cheaper than Tomahawk. But i am slightly worried because i have seen reports of usb ports issues.
Please tell if you have some insight, thank you 🙂
Giga B550M Auros Pro user here. Currently using 6 out of the 9 usb I/O ports and they are working. The two up front are working as well. Have not tested the white, blue (side by side) and red, c-type (side by side) usb ports yet. Too many. Have not touched or updated the BIOS. The G.Skill RAM is set to manufacturer's spec of 3600 CL16.

·
Overclock the World
1,901 Posts
You meant Intersil?
Renesas ISL and Infineon TDA
Vishay as subgroup and rebranded Renesas low end, is not worth it

On semi was used back then on the heatsink less AB320 and B350 boards
Very very bad design
Renesas RAA as VRM phase controller alright UP19xxS is rather not
It pretty much covers the whole range of B550 Models
Expect for 2-3 ATX boards and 2 ITX, the rest is ~bad~
Its great for Matisse but I wouldn't trust it on Vermeer