Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I randomly thought 'Why don't I fold anymore?'. Not having an answer I got everything up and running and I'm folding again. Only doing CPU right now, was hitting some really high GPU temps before I shut that down (was at 84C and climbing). Ordered some more case fans (6 Corsair SP 120mm) and hoping this brings my GPU temps down. Otherwise I may look into getting a new GPU with one of those hybrid coolers - been kinda wanting to upgrade anyways when I got my new monitor, just the 2060 handles the games I play just fine.

Anyways, I'm rambling...glad to be back!

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Welcome back! Even the 2060 puts down some serious points and you picked a pretty good time to return. Covid work units are still going around, and the WU assignment servers have recovered from the massive surge of new folders, so you can rejoin full steam ahead.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome back! Even the 2060 puts down some serious points and you picked a pretty good time to return. Covid work units are still going around, and the WU assignment servers have recovered from the massive surge of new folders, so you can rejoin full steam ahead.
You were supposed to say that even with the additional case fans that the 2060 will still probably have heating issues so I should look into a 2080 Hybrid card.

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts
Last night I randomly thought 'Why don't I fold anymore?'. Not having an answer I got everything up and running and I'm folding again. Only doing CPU right now, was hitting some really high GPU temps before I shut that down (was at 84C and climbing). Ordered some more case fans (6 Corsair SP 120mm) and hoping this brings my GPU temps down. Otherwise I may look into getting a new GPU with one of those hybrid coolers - been kinda wanting to upgrade anyways when I got my new monitor, just the 2060 handles the games I play just fine.

Anyways, I'm rambling...glad to be back!
Before doing anything drastic, the GPU left to an "Auto" fan profile will never be sufficient while folding. Download an application and set the 2060 to 100% while folding. Even with adequate air flow, doing this will keep your temps below 80c, it will be loud however. 2060's fold hot. I run mine at 84c all day no problems.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before doing anything drastic, the GPU left to an "Auto" fan profile will never be sufficient while folding. Download an application and set the 2060 to 100% while folding. Even with adequate air flow, doing this will keep your temps below 80c, it will be loud however. 2060's fold hot. I run mine at 84c all day no problems.
That's good to hear because I'm getting 83-86c at 100% fan speed. Right now I'm only using the fans the case came with, lots of fan spots are empty so I'm hoping to get down below 80c. That's the goal.

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts
That's good to hear because I'm getting 83-86c at 100% fan speed. Right now I'm only using the fans the case came with, lots of fan spots are empty so I'm hoping to get down below 80c. That's the goal.
Good to hear, when those ML's arrive, take a pic of your case and we'll help you with the best airflow if you should need it. Also, consider replacing the stock thermal pads on your card with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fujipoly&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

It will help bring temps down a few c. The 17 W/mk are very pricy, but the 11 W/mk should be fine.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the links, have a few small things coming next week that should help with airflow. I also found a really good price on a RTX 2070 XC Gaming card so not sure how that's going to be heat wise verse this 2060 until next week. Regardless I'll post some pictures here with case and how fans are setup to see if anyone can help improve my airflow.

Just a random thought - I got really into folding back when I joined OCN and it took me FOREVER to get those 4 million points. I created folding rigs, folded on anything I could, didn't game during Foldathons or the Chimp Challenge to just get those points. And nowadays, I'll get those 4 million points in 4 days...craziness.

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts
Thanks for the links, have a few small things coming next week that should help with airflow. I also found a really good price on a RTX 2070 XC Gaming card so not sure how that's going to be heat wise verse this 2060 until next week. Regardless I'll post some pictures here with case and how fans are setup to see if anyone can help improve my airflow.
Heat wise, if it is a tri-fan model will be a lot better than a 2060, Look forward to the pics. Keep in mind, the 2060 doesn't have a great selection of GPU waterblocks, but the 2070 does, so when you are ready to make that plunge.

Just a random thought - I got really into folding back when I joined OCN and it took me FOREVER to get those 4 million points. I created folding rigs, folded on anything I could, didn't game during Foldathons or the Chimp Challenge to just get those points. And nowadays, I'll get those 4 million points in 4 days...craziness.
Yes, it's nuts. During Foldathons I put out 10 million per day. Looking forward to seeing your name on the list, you can sign up for the June challenge here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/55-...day-15th-wednesday-17th-1200-et-1600-utc.html

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Waiting on some odds and ends to come in. Sadly it's looking like the last of the things will be Tuesday of next week. So after the Foldathon I'll be redoing the fan cooling setup in the case.

I did put the 2070 in and the folding load temps are 70c. A lot better than the 2060 in that regard.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the rest of my stuff in yesterday and spent the evening getting everything done.

CPU Temp dropped from 51C to 44C
GPU Temp dropped from 70C to 64C

I'm happy with these temps and glad I bulked up my fan setup. Went from 5 fans to 9 (including the ones on my AIO unit).

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that my temps are bad - but do you think I could get even lower GPU temps if I mount an intake on the bottom of the left chamber below the GPU (maybe 2 x 120 mm if it can fit it and of course RGB)? So it further intakes cool air? Or would that be a rather minimal gain? Load temps do spike up to 66C while folding, but for the most part are stable at 64C.

Attachments

·
Rig Advisor
2,233 Posts
Not that my temps are bad - but do you think I could get even lower GPU temps if I mount an intake on the bottom of the left chamber below the GPU (maybe 2 x 120 mm if it can fit it and of course RGB)? So it further intakes cool air? Or would that be a rather minimal gain? Load temps do spike up to 66C while folding, but for the most part are stable at 64C.
Mount 2 intakes directly below your GPU intakes that are pulling cold air in from the bottom of your case? No, that won't help at all.... Yea, it would benefit you exponentially. It would also help you evacuate the hot air coming off the sides of the GPU towards your rear and top exhausts. You would probably see a few degree drop in temps.

If you really want some temp drops, take apart the GPU and replace all the stock heatpads with some Fujipoly 11 w/mk. That would help a ton as well.

·
more chroma!
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mount 2 intakes directly below your GPU intakes that are pulling cold air in from the bottom of your case? No, that won't help at all.... Yea, it would benefit you exponentially. It would also help you evacuate the hot air coming off the sides of the GPU towards your rear and top exhausts. You would probably see a few degree drop in temps.

If you really want some temp drops, take apart the GPU and replace all the stock heatpads with some Fujipoly 11 w/mk. That would help a ton as well.
More RGB goodness here I come! Thanks Avacado :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts