Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

I have replaced a 350W PSU and an old graphics card with an Antec 500W Earhtwatts and a GTX 460 I had laying around, on a neighbors old PC - but I am having difficulties powering it up. It seems that the 4 pin 12V ATX is shortening something - at least whenever I try booting up with that in place - the Antec PSU simply shuts down.

I have tested by removing everything, but I really have no idea why it shuts down. Could there be a short somewhere or is it a bad 4 pin ATX 12V connector?

I am a novice with PSU´s, and I do not even know how the PSU should behave without the 4 pin ATX 12V attached.

I do have another PSU to test with, but it is a big modular 900W and takes forever to strip down and test with, so any ideas are most welcome and could really save me a lot of time.

Thanks...

Poul

·
Registered
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grnkjr0 View Post

I retested it with another PSU and got same result - powers on for 4-5 secs and shuts down - does this mean that the motherboard is toasted?
Do you have a power supply tester you can use to get a read out on the 4 pin ATX/EPS connector?

Also, have you tried clearing the CMOS? sometimes this works.

If you're still getting some errors, please create a ticket on our website if you want us to RMA your defective unit.

Please go to:
http://www.antec.com/index.php?page=support_online

Feel free to ask me any questions or concerns.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for replying...

I just delivered it to a local repair shop and I talked to him later on the phone, and he said that he was able to boot right into Windows without problems. Strange because I had no such luck. I had reinstalled the old 350W PSU that was originally in there, along with the old graphics card - before the repair shop got it - but I also tested it before with those original components - and that did not help. I suspect somehow a shortening or similar thing was the reason, but I can of course not be sure.

This means I have no idea whether my old faithful Antec 500W Earthwatts had anything to do with this, and that it was responsible for the shortening. My guess is that it liked taking a ride to town and will likely not start up again once I have collected it.
tongue.gif

Poul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.