Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I just recieved a hd4830 from a member here. It is the exact same card right down to the company who makes it as my old card so I figured I would pull out my old card put it the new card in its place to test it out. When I play any games I get funny blue dots fade in and out and black triangles go on and off in random places. The display drivers even quit on me when I tried to load dirt 2.

Just want to make sure before I start complaining that it's the card not me. I already have the newest drivers because I just installed windows and reinstalled the drivers for everything last weekend.

So is there a problem with how I installed the card or is it bad? Thanks.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
1. Check the cables, if it's loose sometimes you get snow.

2. Go to stock, stock clocks and default settings!! still happening?

3. Cleanup your drivers then reinstall them.

If none of those work then try the card in another PC to see if it does the same thing.

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. Go to stock, stock clocks and default settings!! still happening?

Oh man I feel like an idiot. I forgot I was oc'ing my old card in catalyst. I dropped it all to stock and that seems to have fixed the problem. Right now I'm running the auto config to see if I can run this card oc'ed at all and its taking forever, Im on my netbook right now.... So some cards just don't oc well or what?

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Yeah. Usually I get the third from the top performer for that series and OC it up pretty high. But the top performers never seem to clock well for me.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
ha!
you must feel silly right now

anyway good that you got to the bottom of the problem

and now go for ocing that new card
and i suppose you are going to crossfire the two...
keep in mind that it will work at the clocks that the lesser card can achieve, won't be good if you try with clocks that better card can achieve

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathclaw
View Post

ha!
you must feel silly right now

anyway good that you got to the bottom of the problem

and now go for ocing that new card
and i suppose you are going to crossfire the two...
keep in mind that it will work at the clocks that the lesser card can achieve, won't be good if you try with clocks that better card can achieve

Oh really?
I was hoping to OC the old one higher and keep the new one lower if it was possible. Ok well, I just reinstalled drivers and catalyst and tried to oc it to max again and same problem. This time I kept the gpu clock to max and lowered the memory clock from max which is 1200 to 1130 and looks like the problem is gone at a pretty decent clock speed. Well, I'm gonna go install the second card and cross my fingers my first xfire goes well. Thanks guys.

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok So now I have both cards in. Have the xfire cable hooked up and both cards are being recognized. I enabled xfire in catalyst. I reinstalled all the drivers and catalyst when I installed the xfire. Both cards are at stock settings. The games are being so choppy and slow its like 1 fps for both the intro and game play. What's wrong?

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so aside from the games being increadibly laggy windows itself kept hard locking on me. So I went into bios and used the option to set everything back to stock since i had my cpu and ram over clocked and I thought that might be causing the locks with xfire. So I went to bios and had it change everything back to stock settings using the auto configure which I've never had problems with before and now when I try to boot a get a nice message from mbr telling me it can't find the necessary whatever to boot because a software or hardware change might've been the problem. SO, I pop in the windows disc and go into my boot options and tell it to boot off the cd so I can attempt a repair and after I choose to boot off cd it wont go to the cd it'll go back to the mbr error! Even if I change the boot options in bios to boot off cd first it still does that. Some one save me from throwing my computer out the window!!

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok So I got windows to boot and I tried installing 10.3, I was using 10.2. Well that failed so I tried to uninstall everything and install 10.2 which was working before and now itll say it installed but when i reboot windows itll say ati driver failed to load. Im typing this in 800x600 resolution. I've done this 5 times now.

:so zo:

·
Networking Nerd
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i finally figured out if I pull out the cross fire cable I can get 10.2 to reinstall. Now windows keeps hard freezing when I'm not doing anything except opening fire fox. And twice when I click on shut down the monitor went off and the pc kept running.

I am so disgusted by this experience I will never, ever, ever, ever, try cross fire again. **** I'll probably never buy ati again either. ****ing bull****.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts