Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 4 cores unlocked on my 555BE & windows would load ok, just that Chrome, Safari would constantly crash like there was an Adobe flash player problem. I got it to stop crashing by running in win98 compatiblity mode.

Everquest would not allow me to run more than 1 instance (boxing) & would crash (MS C+++ Error)

I shut the core unlocker off, only running 2 cores now & OC'd @ 3.7 with temps 49-50 c.

Could bad cores be causing the issues I described above?

Appreciate any feedback/help with this.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi, the answer to your question is yes. Iv read on other forums with exactly the same problems regarding internet crashing that your having with unlocked cores. Most of them only disabled 1 core and tried and if it crashed enabled the other core and disabled the open 1.
If this helped please add REP+ as im really enjoying helping out.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What were your temps with the unlocked cores? Stock cooling isn't enough.
You wont get core temps with cores unlocked,you'll have to read the TEMPIN with HW monitor,it is usually TEMPIN1 or TEMPIN2.
Try turning one core back on at a time to pinpoint if only 1 core is bad.

• Rep+
Reactions: mojava67

·
Registered
884 Posts
well if those same issues don't occur when only running as x2, most likely at least one of the locked cores are bad or need more vcore to make them/it stable. try as an x4 at stock speeds, then up the multi by 1 until you start to get the errors you mention. then try upping vcore (dont go above 1.5v) and see if that introduces stability.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The best test is with gaming...if you see any stuttering in games most likely is it a bad core(s) Another reason is that the cores were defective, some work for a while and degrade after a few months or days, the only way to know for sure if any of the unlocked cores are being degraded is to perform a Core Balance...you can find a guide to in my sig

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Try disabling all cores except 1 good one. Enable one of the unlocked cores and run it as a dual core. Do some gaming/browsing/stress testing and see if that core can handle the load. Do the same thing with the other unlocked core. That usually helps me determine if the unlocked cores are to blame. Do it at stock speed and volts too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well pretty much figured 3rd is bad/unstable as I opened 4th /closed 3rd and not any issues @ stock/oc'd speeds.
Unlocked 3rd and locked 4th then the browser crashing except IE started, I upped the vcore still same issue so I guess I should be happy with an X3 for price of X2.

Thanks for all your replies & yes now I'll do some stress testing.

amd-dude I'll try your method at a later date right now I'm stressed over figuring
out if it was my OS or chip to blame.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
AMD locks chips for a reason
Unlocking is a bonus

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, same thing with my first 555 CPU, enabled 3rd core and artifacts showed up.
Sold it, and got a 1090T, got bored with it so I sold it and got 2500K. OC that to 5.0ghz, found out it was too much power for me which I didn't need at the moment, so I sold that and went back to AMD and got a 560 BE, unlocked all cores just fine with 4.0Ghz OC and no artifacts or problems what so ever. So I guess I'll wait for Bulldozer benchmarks results before deciding my next step.

·
Registered
20 Posts
blakmumba: yeah, the 2500K is nice, got it running at 5.0ghz on air stable. I scored 9750 in 3Dmark11 with the 2500K @ 5.0Ghz, 8725 with the 1090T @ 3.9Ghz and 7550 with the B60 @ 4.0ghz. Also, the 2500K boosted about 20+ fps for games like crysis and many others. I definitely recommend upgrading to it, but since bulldozer is coming out, i would wait to see their benchmarks first. Right now the 2500K cost $179 at MicroCenter, the 1090T is $199 and performs pretty much the same as a Phenom X4.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok I admit I'm a nub and finally figured it out that my chip is a Heka=3 cores which is why the 4th won't work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts