Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So i'm getting some bad temperature on my CPU (75C while playing BF4) and the fans are spinning on around 1600-1700 rpm. This is my first custom loop and i think those temperatures aren't that great. The GPU is running around 55C while I am playing BF4.

is it just me or is there a problem with my setup?

I got a custom loop and my spec are

1x = Black Ice Nemesis GT Stealth 360 Radiator
1x = Black Ice Nemesis GT Stealth 240 Radiator
5x = Vardar 120 mm 2200 RPM fans
GPU = Tri-X R9 290 4G GD5 (byski full over block)
CPU = I5 3570k 4.2 ghz (Cuplex KRYOS block)
Pump = SC600B 600 L/H
Motherboard = Z77 Extreme4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,113 Posts
From what you are describing it seems like your coolant is staying at a reasonably low temp, so your airflow is probably fine. I'd suggest getting a new block and using a good thermal paste. Something like an EK Supremacy EVO, and some Gelid Extreme. (The Heatkiller pro or new Raystorm block seems to be just as good if not better than the Supremacy EVO, but I haven't used either of them.).

Should net you several degrees better temps on your CPU.

That being said, 70's are perfectly fine temps on a CPU.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
720 Posts
I'm going to assume this is a single loop. Based on what you put into the system, I'd agree that those temps seem high.

Did you double check the mating between the CPU cooler and the CPU? I just had a similar situation with a GPU during my burn in tests and it turned out I had over tightened some of the fittings on the GPU block and they had broken off. CPU was fine but GPU was getting really hot.

Once I fixed the GPU issue I was able to run Firestrike without either GPU/CPU getting above 55 deg.

In a normal loop there should not be a significant difference between the temps of your CPU and your GPU unless the block just does not have the capability to remove enough of the heat. At that point I'd replace the block as suggested above. First though I'd check the mounting of your CPU block.

Good luck!
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Just-Averaqe

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgdeaner View Post

In a normal loop there should not be a significant difference between the temps of your CPU and your GPU...

Good luck!
That's not necessarily true. Generally a CPU will be 20 degrees or more higher than a GPU. In the OP's case, his GPU is soldered and his CPU isn't and has a layer of thermal paste instead. Intel only uses Solder on their Enthusiast grade chips and above, in which case, the CPU can easily suck more power than the GPU leading back to higher CPU temps than GPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
What voltage? Unless you're running 1.4v+ on the cpu, that's high temp for what you have. I have a measly 280 AIO and never go above 60C while gaming under any circumstances. I stay under 60C while running 3D Mark CPU test where all cpu cores are pegged 100%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Averaqe View Post

Hey everyone!

So i'm getting some bad temperature on my CPU (75C while playing BF4) and the fans are spinning on around 1600-1700 rpm. This is my first custom loop and i think those temperatures aren't that great. The GPU is running around 55C while I am playing BF4.

is it just me or is there a problem with my setup?

I got a custom loop and my spec are

1x = Black Ice Nemesis GT Stealth 360 Radiator
1x = Black Ice Nemesis GT Stealth 240 Radiator
5x = Vardar 120 mm 2200 RPM fans
GPU = Tri-X R9 290 4G GD5 (byski full over block)
CPU = I5 3570k 4.2 ghz (Cuplex KRYOS block)
Pump = SC600B 600 L/H
Motherboard = Z77 Extreme4
The CPU temp could be related to bad mating, but you also have to realize that you're running a 30mm 360 + 240 with a push or pull config, not a push pull, with a moderate to high FPI radiator for a GPU + CPU. I think your temps are about on par with those considerations. The thicker a radiator the greater benefit in cooling performance, to a degree. For instance I use alphacool UT60s whenever possible or at the very least XT45s, both are named for their thickness in millimeters. They are also low fins per inch (FPI) radiators, which allow for lower speed and quieter fans. Black ice makes good radiators, but any time you have a thin radiator, you will sacrifice some performance in exchange for the thinness of the radiator.

Radiators, especially high FPI rads really benefit the most with fans in a push pull configuration, where both are running at the same speed on either. If there's any way you can get like 2-3 more fans and set it up in a push pull, i think you'll see a remarkable difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies

My ambient is around 26 C and my water temp is 31 C (under load). Inlet and outlet on the CPU are mounted correct. I'm also pretty sure that there are no air bubbles in the system. My CPU is running at 4,2 ghz on stock voltage. I have not checked the mating between the CPU and the cooler.

The loop order is

Reservoir->240Rad->GPU->360Rad->CPU

Not the best pic in the world but here it is.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really just don't think that those temps are good/right, I bet my Hyper 212 Evo can out preform those temperatures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,113 Posts
I don't want to be that guy, but if you gotta take your loop apart anyway to solve the issue (as it seems you will), if there were any parts you wanted to upgrade that would be the time.

I still suggest going with a newer block, as it's only 50 bucks and if/when you upgrade in the future you won't have to deal with that sort of problem again in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Battlefield uses a lot of cpu so I'm sure it's under a good load. I would check first that the cpu and block have a solid connection and good thermal paste, Don't use too much TIM, just as bad as not enough. Secondly, I would recommend a change in the loop direction. My recommendation would be - Starting at the Reservoir, then Pump because the pumping causes some heat, then 360 rad for maximum cooling first, then CPU, then 240 rad, then GPU, and back to Reservoir.
It looks like you have a high density FPI at 16 and you have the high static pressure fans so the setup looks like a good combo so I wouldn't worry about parts right off. I think a simple rearrangement of components and some re-seating of the cpu block should do you nicely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt-Gamer View Post

Battlefield uses a lot of cpu so I'm sure it's under a good load. I would check first that the cpu and block have a solid connection and good thermal paste, Don't use too much TIM, just as bad as not enough. Secondly, I would recommend a change in the loop direction. My recommendation would be - Starting at the Reservoir, then Pump because the pumping causes some heat, then 360 rad for maximum cooling first, then CPU, then 240 rad, then GPU, and back to Reservoir.
It looks like you have a high density FPI at 16 and you have the high static pressure fans so the setup looks like a good combo so I wouldn't worry about parts right off. I think a simple rearrangement of components and some re-seating of the cpu block should do you nicely.
The loop order really doesn't matter as long as res feeds the pump and is above the pump.

With a moderate to high fpi, low thickness, and single side fans combo, these temps are to be expected. THESE are the reasons
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnad View Post

I saw another post recently with a similiar issue where the OP discovered his CPU block was actually sitting on a capacitor that was very close to the socket and wasn't letting the block make full contact. I would redo block TIM and installation next.
This. I had this issue myself. Turns out the block had to sit a specific way to miss capacitors. My temps were similar to yours. See if you can pass a piece of paper between your block and the cpu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle Fit View Post

The loop order really doesn't matter as long as res feeds the pump and is above the pump.

With a moderate to high fpi, low thickness, and single side fans combo, these temps are to be expected. THESE are the reasons
OH WOW, Sorry OP, disregard my attempt to help because Pinnacle Fit has already solved your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt-Gamer View Post

OH WOW, Sorry OP, disregard my attempt to help because Pinnacle Fit has already solved your problem.
Lol sorry I forget that the intention can get misinterpreted in text. I meant no offense.

That being said given the circumstances I think the OPs temps are reasonable given these specs. They're welcome to try the other options but I really don't think it'll help a whole lot.

I will add one suggestion as well... If and when he breaks the loop down he should put water temp sensors and these can help indicate if there is an air bubble. Also if you're water cooling a solid fan controller is a necessity. Like this lamptron cw611, which frustrates me but still does its job well.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Averaqe View Post

I really just don't think that those temps are good/right, I bet my Hyper 212 Evo can out preform those temperatures.
I have a very similar system: 2x240 + 1x120 hwlabs black ice nemesis gts (30mm tickness) in pull config with vardar f4-120er fans.
4790k stock voltage of 1.165v and msi gtx 970 overclocked, after 2 hours of bf4 cpu max core temp is 64℃ with a 9,7℃ water delta. Room temp is 28℃
I had a bad mount couple months ago, but i use soft tubing and didn't had to bleed my system to redo the tim application (i use gelid extreme).
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top