Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Celeron 1.7Ghz CPU in an emachines computer that my friend gave to me. I tried to put in a 2.87GHz Celeron CPU, but the computer wouldn't work: the case fan spun, hdd powered up, but the CPU fan didn't turn and nothing came on the screen.

Do you think this is a problem with my 2.7GHz celeron, or the emachines motherboard not liking the new CPU? The stock 1.7Ghz Celeron is in there now and works.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Nope more then likely the mother board you are trying to put the CPU in doesnt support that CPU. If yould give some more info on the computer people would be able to help alot more. Im gonna guess you are trying to put a 533fsb CPU into a 400fsb MOBO. WHich in turn means the board does not support this type of CPU

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
The 1.7s are based on the Williamete core while the newer Celly is either a Northwood or Prescott. As was stated above, it sounds very likely that it's a compatibility issue. While it is possible a BIOS flash might give you the compatibility you need, it's pretty likley that you won't be able to get that CPU to work in that mobo.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Yes, a bios flash would be a good idea, and did you try clearing the cmos before you booted up with the new cpu?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Yes, a bios flash would be a good idea, and did you try clearing the cmos before you booted up with the new cpu?

No. I will try flashing. I hope that I can do it from windows, as I dont have a floppy drive

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could someone help me find a BIOS for this? There is none on the emachines site.

That is the origional 1.7GHz Celeron. I think the 2.7GHz Celeron is a Northwood, Taeric.

EDIT: LOL I searched for that chipset on Google and Overclock.net came up as first choice. OK.. I'm going to finish looking now

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
What is the model number of your eMachines?

And did you try to clear the cmos? There should be a cmos jumper on the mobo, or you can just pull the battery for a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
On that bright side, that chipset should support that CPU if you can find the right BIOS.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Yeah, I would send them an email asking about a bios update. That is about your only option for that motherboard.

Does the mobo happen to be a major brand? Is it an OEM board or is it an Asus or something like that?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been looking for the last 1/2 hour and still can't find anything...

Lando: Check those CPU-z screenshots a few posts up.

Manufacture: TriGem Computer Inc.
Model: Imperial

I've never heard of them.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Yeah, OEM board. I looked at the screenies, but it doesn't help you much without a bios update. Send eMachines an email.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Yeah, OEM board. I looked at the screenies, but it doesn't help you much without a bios update. Send eMachines an email.

I'll see how smart their live chat tech guys are.

... *** they want to know a bunch of useless stuff. I dont know these answers... Store bought from, date purchased, ect lol

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got nothing out of the Live tech support guy, except that "Upgrading your BIOS is very dangerous and they do not support it". He told me that about 10 times.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman8904

Well I got nothing out of the Live tech support guy, except that "Upgrading your BIOS is very dangerous and they do not support it". He told me that about 10 times.

Aww, that sucks man, sorry to hear that. You would think that a company that sells as many comps as eMachines would offer bios updates.

It's only dangerous if you don't follow instructions, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
What brand of BIOS does that board use?

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
You may want to check out this, this, and this. You probably found all of these already, but if not, they may be worth a look.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taeric

You may want to check out this, this, and this. You probably found all of these already, but if not, they may be worth a look.

Which one would I want on that first link?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.