Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm still new to water cooling (about 4 weeks now), and I've started out with a loop with;
GTZ
MCR 220 Res
MCP 655
MCRES-Micro

I was getting temps of about 39C idle when on my old OCZ Vendetta 2 I was getting around 32-34. So with little thought except that I wanted to move to including my GTX 260 in the loop, I bought a TFC 360. Installed it about 2 days ago and I found that my temps only dropped like 1-2C. So I got thinking, what could this be that is causing the poor temps. I know how to apply TIM well enough, I had the loop set up as follows;

RES->pump->rad->CPU->RES

Yesterday I pulled the GTZ off and after cleaning it I noticed that the damn thing wasn't flat. I could tell this because it was like looking at a bend mirror, the reflection would bend. After pulling the block apart I also noticed that I had algae just starting (
guess my home made mixure didn't work out well enough) so I cleaned it. Then I started to lap the block.

Shortly into lapping, I could notice that the block was hugely in need of the lapping job.

So was this block just a bad one? Because I've only really heard good things about the GTZ. Oh and if anyone wants, I'll post pics of the lapped block except it still need to redo it if the temp aren't good enough because I didn't want to shave it down too much.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that just makes me feel like a dumbass now lol. Hopefully though it will still help in my case. If not I was thinking about getting a HK or a XT.

Thanks for the info. REP+

·
Registered
86 Posts
ha ha don't worry about it i was very close to doing the same to mine until the friend that was helping me put my system together pretty much yanked it out of my hands and explained it to me.

Also i upgraded to an xt and it is going strong had about a 6 degree drop over all cores

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
What were your load temps? How much thermal paste did you use?

What was ambient temp? (It isn't dead middle of winter now so the room might be warmer.)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Load temps were about 50-54, idle 38-39, ambient around 22C. TIM apply in the center about the size of a grain of rice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts