Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker gave me her computer to look at.
It is a HP m7077c. She said she thought her monitor was bad because it just said no signal. I figured it was the video card. She said it started this about 2 weeks ago after she sprayed it with air in a can (just in the front vent). It will just power up but not video display.
She brought it to me and I opened it up and it was pretty nasty (see attached).
I got it home tonight and replaced the video card with a 7200GS I have laying around (that does work). Booted up, still no video. No Post screen, no beeps from the board, all fans do turn on and the HDD is making noise (it powers on right when I plug the PSU in every time). I try a BIOS reset, same result.
So I take the whole thing apart (man was it dirty, and what a pain to take apart). Had the board on a cardboard box, removed the HSF and replaced the TIM and re-installed it.
Blew out all the slots, put in a stick of DDR2 I had so I know it was good, put the 7200gs back in and used an Antec PSU and another know good HDD. Tried to boot again, same result.

I am guessing that the motherboard has gone bad? Bad PCI-e slot (I had a PCI card somewhere, but can't find it)? CPU bad?

Anything I could check, or do I just need to tell her she needs a new motherboard? I am not real familiar with Intel, but this troubleshooting is the same as AMD.

What is a decent cheap Matx board that supports the Pentium I have (Pentium4 640 (P) HT 3.2 GHz).
This Zotac any good?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Did you, in all your cleaning a disassembly, ever clear the cmos? if not, try that along with trying the video from both the integrated (if any) and the 7200 and see how that goes. other than that, I would say its the mobo though testing the cpu in another machine can't hurt can it?

edit: (i mean it could hurt if your not careful but you should know that anyway)

also, only issue I see with that board is it may not be able to utilize an 800mhz fsb cpu. if it does work, please pm me as I have a 2 p4s with that fsb and can't find a board anywhere.

edit again: this might be what you need http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138131

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
By the sounds of it the board has gone bad try clearing the cmos you only need some ram and graphics card (or onboard graphics)installed for it to post and show a display you dont even need hard drives or cd roms you dont even need a keyboard it will tell you that there is no keyboard when it posts. It usually is the board and not the processor that goes so it would be proberly worthwhile just getting a secondhand board off ebay its a socket775 so just about any socket775 board will work with it

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, clearing the CMOS (I called it BIOS in the OP) was one of the first things I did. There is just a PCI-e slot for video.
I only have AMD boards, so nothing to test the CPU on.

So I need to look for a board that supports 800mhz FSB? Looks like that Biostar is the only one Newegg has that is MAtx.

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
every socket 775 board supports 800mhz FSB as far as I know 533mhz went out with the socket 478 you should have no worries finding a board cheap good luck

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by macsbeach98
View Post

every socket 775 board supports 800mhz FSB as far as I know 533mhz went out with the socket 478 you should have no worries finding a board cheap good luck

But on some boards web sites, it does not list the 640 as supported.
I have found a few that say it does, and I am leaning towards this ASUS.
The Zotac I have in the first post does not have a list of supported CPU's that I can find on the Zotac website.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, Early bump, but will be ordering either the Asus or Foxconn in a few hours.
The Foxconn is cheaper by ~$5 shipped, and don't they pretty much make most MoBo's anyway?

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Sounds like a dead mother board since it powers on as soon as you plug in the 120v to the PSU. I killed a psu or mother board and when i tried a known good PSU the board came to life, but no post or beeps codes when i gave 120v to the psu.

As for which board to get, for general purpose the foxcon should be fine, though i would go with the asus if the customer dont mind paying a little more.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was literally just looking at that Zotac board (it has onboard IEEE 1394, which her old one has, but she nevere uses it).

Zotac's site is horrible as far as finding out what CPU's are supported. I even looked around on the forum with no success.

I just don't want to get a board and not have the CPU supported.
Man AMD is easier

1 - 10 of 10 Posts