Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought and installed an ASRock 890FX Deluxe 3 motherboard a few days ago. The BIOS settings were a bit of a pain, but once that is done, it works beautifully, except for this:
In SpeedFan 4.40, my core is around 45C and the GPU ~48C; I live in Florida with very poor air conditioning, these are normal temps for parts that typically get hot. SpeedFan has a temperature called "AUX:" that runs from 66-70C whether the computer is stressed or idle. In other programs it might be called other things like “Auxiliaryâ€, "System", or "Motherboard". I heard of some of the new Asus motherboards having heatsinks applied improperly so they weren't making contact. Anyone else having this issue? What are your opinions on the matter?

(cpu: Phenom II x2 955 BE @ 3.48ghz, ram: Mushkin Blackline @ 1600mhz, gpu: MSI N250GTS 1gb OC)

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Hi Eiko and welcome to OCN.

Are those temps in idle or load? The AUX is a dead sensor so don't pay attention to that temp I think that those 45C for the CPU are high for the cooler that u have and the GPU is also running a little hot.

Download and use MSI Afterburner to select the fan profile speed for the GPU.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cpu and video card won't get any cooler, even at stock temps. I've always had to boost the fan speeds, etc (in Afterburner for the gpu). The air conditioner is directed straight towards my computer chair and I'm still sweating. From what I understand, air cooling simply dissipates heat from a component to bring it closer to the ambient temperature of the room. Well, until winter hits, the air conditioning is not sufficient to lower the ambient temps. Also, those temps were under what I consider "Normal Usage" (less than 5 tabs in firefox, no streaming video, no games running, steam chat and AVG in the background). It wasn't dead idle, but I wasn't running Prime95 or anything. The AUX doesn't seem to respond to stress though, further convincing me it's a faulty temp sensor or something of that nature. And if it's of any relevance, the board temp is 41. My case moves a good deal of air; I just can't afford a better cooling method.

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Which are ur ambient temps?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I shut down most processes. (It's also night time, so it's generally cooler in/out of the house.)
CPU - 40
GPU - 45
System- 37
HDD - 33
*The "AUX" seems to fluctuate anywhere between 50 and 77 and changes randomly and instantaneously. I'm really thinking it's either a bad temp sensor or Speedfan is trying to read off of a sensor that doesn't exist.

·
OG AMD
8,879 Posts
Just open the case and touch the NB heatsink while running.If it feels hot-it's too hot and probably needs some attention.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's slightly warm, but it doesn't feel like it's overheating. And the way the temp reading changes 20 degrees in 1 second at random intervals seems quite unlikely for an accurate reading. I've pretty much determined that the reading is incorrect. So "AUX" is normally the sensor for the North Bridge? I just knew one of the 3 "Winbond W83667HG" sensors on the motherboard was giving some crazy high temps. And honestly, one of my 80CFM intake fans blows directly to the NB, it shouldn't be hot. Nobody has given me anything on Speedfan doing this on another computer, so I'm going to just assume it's a bad sensor. Thank you very much, Eiko.

·
Registered
192 Posts
those temps are pretty normal i am currently living in trinidad in the caribbean it can be very difficult to cool your computer i went and bought a really cold aircon system for my bedroom if my aircon fails for some reason it will climb to high 40s on idle easily and thats if i run a modest oc. due to the high ambient temp the only coolers than are unafected are phase change coolers water performs ok but not optimally and air becomes a heater.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts