Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bought copy of XP Professional including SP2. I have just built a new PC. When I go to register the product it says I have installed windows too many times. How do I fix this problem.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Try the phone option... but something smells fishy. It sounds like somebody was using this copy before they sold it to you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry not trying to register, trying to activate windows. How many PCs can I install this on?

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
You will have to call them to activate the windows. You will have to call them every time to activate it (as the number generated varies every install). Microsoft will ask you how many PC's its on. Say one obviously. They aren't stupid though. The copy you have has been installed before. (the auto activate feature works 3 times before requiring phone activation). If someone else registered the copy you are trying to activate you will have a problem. Microsoft isn't stupid, if I can read between the lines so can they...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok cool. so when I intall on a new computer I should not change the name and organisation from what it is on my other pc (see one is for me the other for my daughter).

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
if youre installing your copy on more than 1 computer, than its illegal anyway

you wont be getting support for the matter from this site...

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
I've reinstalled Windows XP pro at least 10 times with the same key?

I usually format and reinstall every few months (been almost 3 since last install)k

Every time i get new cpu or mb I reinstall.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Its not illegal to use an OEM copy of XP on other computers..i have done this many times and had to call microsoft to get the activation code.Pretty simple really

It is not illegal IF you are paying for a new license (COA) for each system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts