Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I have noticed "SEVERE" screen tearing. I have had my graphics card for a little over a month now. April 4th. I noticed the issue about a week or so ago. It just started happening all of a sudden. TBH, I'm not sure if it was there before and I didn't notice it. I don't remember seeing the tears when I was benchmarking the card when I first received it. I have had a few of my friends come over and they tell me its bad. It shouldn't be doing that. I'm getting tears on Crysis 2, Crysis, Batman Asylum and Arkham City, BF3, Rage, Fear 3, World of Warcraft and others. It looks like someone is taking like a rake across the screen. Espcially in Crysis 2 and Batman 1. I see as many (off the top of my head) 5-10 lines runs across the screen at the start of the games. Even in Crysis 2, at the first 2 mins of the game when I'm in the submarine. Just moving my camera around causes bad tears. The only games I don't get screen tearing on are Diablo 2 LOD, League of Legends, and NFS The Run. I really would prefer not to play with V-Sync. My friend has the same exact graphics card as me. A GTX 680 SC from EVGA and doesn't use v-sync and doesn't get any issue. I tried to use his pc as a reference to see what I was doing wrong. I've re-installed windows on a separate hard-drive, clean OS, reseeded the memory & graphics card. Even tried a different PCI slot. Still nothing. I called evga and I requested an Cross-Ship RMA. I receive the new card Thursday. But I would like to try anything else that could possibly help. My pc specs are as listed in my profile. I am not OC the card. I have it at factory settings. My monitors run at 60hz. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just tears and no little artifact squares or anything?

You could always take your card over to your buddies house and install it and see if its still doing it. If its doing it in his rig then you know something is wrong with the card.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
If your playing without V-sync and have more then 60FPS then it can create tearing, this is a normal thing.
Some games have it more then the other and some monitors also have it more then the other.

Some games even do it with V-sync on like WoW.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Does your buddy have the same monitor as you?
I'm just wondering if the monitor has a part to play as well.

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farih View Post

If your playing without V-sync and have more then 60FPS then it can create tearing, this is a normal thing.
Some games have it more then the other and some monitors also have it more then the other.
Some games even do it with V-sync on like WoW.
This, enable v-sync and try again, wow has this as a known issue, id check the wow boards for possible fixes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@nonnac7
I will take the card over to his house and try. Its just tears. I don't see any artifacts. When I move the camera to look up or down in Crysis or Batman, That's when I notice it a lot. It looks like a series of screen tears that start from the bottom of the screen and moves its way up to the top of the screen like like every 40 pixels. I can record it with a camera to see and post a video. It even happens in CGI moments of the games. Which I don't think is suppose to happen.

@5nak3
My friend has 24 inch ASUS 3D monitor. Not too familiar with 3D. I know it goes to 120hz in 3D, but he doesn't play 3D a lot. I assume the monitor sits at 60hz as well.

@Jim888
I know for a fact that I was not screen tearing on WoW when I first received the card. Since I am a big wow nerd. Play several hours during every day. I noticed it a week ago while I was doing arenas. I saw a GIANT tear at the top of my screen. Like it was turning black at a line at the top of the screen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
Got my new GTX 680. Tried running it alone and still experience screen tearing. I turned on Adaptive V-Sync and it fixed the solution somewhat. I know screen tearing naturally occurs when the video fps isn't in sync with your refresh rate. I was wondering if someone could explain why I am getting screen tears on the Witcher 2 with only 40-45 FPS on a 60 mhz monitor and Adaptive V-Sync on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts