Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So basically I had a 1 TB WD Black. Over the course of 4 months, it kept on developing an increasing amount of bad sectors. At it's peak it reached 18 and to the point where I was having errors accessing or writing certain data to the drive. I even tried running it through WD LifeGuard tools and the tests failed every time, saying I had too many bad sectors. Over these months, I decided to wait and see if it would reallocate these sectors, but, sadly it did not.

So, a week ago I pulled the drive out of my computer (fun job) and ran it through about 12 different thorough format utilities in DBAN. This was to prepare the drive to get sent off to WD RMA. Well, after all the formats were done, I decided to check the smart status for the heck of it......to my horror........the pending sectors went down to 2. I thought this was odd, so I bang it back to my desktop and ran it through WD LifeGuard tools again. Well, now the extended test seemed to pass and the pending sectors is now at zero.Best part? Says that 0 were reallocated.

TLDR: A lot of pending sectors on drive. Formatted the hard drive for one full week in hopes to kill it, but did the opposite. No more pending sectors and none were reallocated.

Anyone know what's going on here? I am at a loss as to what is happening with the drive. Should I expect the errors to come back? Or is it somehow magically fixed?

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
It sounds like it re-mapped the bad and forgot about it.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Sounds like the drive remapped the bad sectors. However, I still wouldn't trust it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi there,
It seems that the drive remapped those bad sectors, however I would still consider is suspicious and monitor it. If you see it developing more bad sectors go for a RMA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts