Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents pc, is beginning to act very strange. When it approaches windows login and you enter password, it takes AGES to load in.
Once its finally loaded in, its also very slow to open some programs.
I tryed to open eventviewer yesterday, it never went as a succes. It just couldnt, and the program wasnt responding.

There is barely anything installed on the pc.
The SSD was from an old system. crystaldiskinfo says health is 98%. But could it still be bad? Any way to narrow this down, without starting to purchase new parts?

Windows 10 pro 64bit
i5-7400
8gb ddr4 2666mhz
gtx 650
bequiet straight power 9
MSI b250
crucial MX100 120gb

·
Not New to OCN
1,745 Posts
Is the drive full? There should be maybe ~10% of unused space available so the drive can "move" data around it more freely. If they don't have a backup currently, it would be wise to make one too.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
82gb avaliable from total 110gb.

It really feels sluggish.

It took 19 seconds, just to open up nvidia controlpanel. Opening other stuff such as eventviewer, feels just as slow responsive. And there is constant loading circle with the mouse.

·
Linux Noob
870 Posts
Turn off wi-fi.
Open task manager and order by Process descending.
See if any programs are pulling large %s of processing power trying to run updates or if Defender real-time anti-virus scan has gone wild.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed disk usage is constantly sitting at 99%, but cannot see which process is eating it up?
Also I ran AS SSD and got this result too.

EDIT: Now after 5min, disk usage is back at 1% - 5%

Attachments

·
Linux Noob
870 Posts
While working on it, I'd get a copy of autoruns and temporarily disable the google, steam, kaspersky, malewarebytes, discord etc... on load up just to make eliminate them as suspects (things easier on you while working this out). This should cause no problems with network connectivity turned off.

Have you run any disk cleaner software and then trimmed it?

You might also consider using a lower level disk management tool like Minitool Partition Wizard which can check your partitions, align them, check your drive and system files, etc...

Might just be Windows crapware trying to get out or system housecleaning...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Windows defrag has been disabled.
ccleaner is set to manuel cleaning.

Even trying to mark stuff with the mouse, makes it totally unresponsive. Like you try and mark 10 files. Halfway it just stops. Then there is a 3-5 seconds delay before it finally marks everything, to where your cursor is.

Will try and disable stuff.

·
Linux Noob
870 Posts
Windows defrag has been disabled.
ccleaner is set to manuel cleaning.

Even trying to mark stuff with the mouse, makes it totally unresponsive. Like you try and mark 10 files. Halfway it just stops. Then there is a 3-5 seconds delay before it finally marks everything, to where your cursor is.

Will try and disable stuff.
Definitely temporarily disable some things to work this out.
Current Windows versions recognize SSD drives. The Defrag utility should default to 'Trim' on any SSD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts