Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my computer was on during a bad storm in the night, and when I finally got the chance to turn it on again, it can't be stable no matter what. It shows on default in the BIOS as 'CMOS checksum error." I reflashed it three times, cleared the jumper over 10 times, swapped parts in and out...(PSU, RAM, HD, DVD drive, sound card, NOT the graphics card, NOT the wireless card)

Do you think that the BIOS itself is damaged? I reinstalled Windows and the thing is not stable for pinto beans. Should I buy a new BIOS chip?

This is making me nervous now...

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Bumber... that situation is one of the reasions I have a battery BU.
Check with the manufacturer, if your still under warrantee they might send you another or issue an RMA on the MB... I wouldn't tell them about the storm though

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like a fried motherboard. My old MSI Neo Platinum did the same thing after one of my power supplies fried. RMA that bad boy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm thinking the board went kaput... 0_o lol I got it at Fry's; ill just get whatever packaging I can still find and see what happens...

I can get into Windows and everything, but when doing Prime95 on default even, it goes bad in less than 30 seconds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atheistic Freedom

Yeah, I'm thinking the board went kaput... 0_o lol I got it at Fry's; ill just get whatever packaging I can still find and see what happens...

I can get into Windows and everything, but when doing Prime95 on default even, it goes bad in less than 30 seconds.

Yeah, sounds about right. With my old system (3200+, MSI Neo Plat.), once I installed SP2, it would restart after booting into Windows no matter what I did. Swapping the CPU into another mobo (Abit KV8 Pro) solved it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts