Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am running an OCed E6300 at 2.975GHz (7 x 425MHz) for around 2 years now. It had been rock stable with a Freezer 7 Pro and 2 x 1GB of Tracers. I had a single MSI 8800GTS 320MB OC in the system since the beginning.

It was great until recently, when my monitor will just randomly go black, and the words "no video signal" are displayed on the screen. A few seconds later the sound will lockup (if there is any sound playing, eg when playing a game). The system is known to lock up while playing games and while simply surfing the net as well.

When it happens, all fans are still spinning, and the DVD-ROM still works. In addition to the PSU, CPU and GPU fan, I have 1 fan in the front, 1 in the back, 1 in the bottom, and 2 at the top of my casing, all 120mm fans, so I guess ventilation is good.

I managed to catch a few freezes with RivaTuner recording the temps. When I go back to look at the graphs, the temps of my GPU was around 70 degrees (my usual onload temps (can even go up to 80)) and drops to about 60 degrees (I'm thinking this is after the freeze). I have wiped my display drivers to the latest ones. I have also stressed my GPU with games like World in Conflict. The temps go up to 82 degrees, but the system doesn't freeze (at least when I'm still running those benchmark tests).

I just recently changed my RAMs, and with Memtest, they have no problems. I have run Orthos the other day with these new RAMs for 6+ hours, no problems.

Power-wise, I have a CoolerMaster iGreen 600W. That powers everything including another 3 internal harddisks. I suppose this should provide for plenty of power.

I'm really not sure what's going on with these random freezes. Would appreciate if I can have some ideas from you guys before I proceed to replace any of my parts.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I do have another system with a HD3850. I'll swap the two cards tonight and see how it goes. Will update again, thanks!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Did this start immediately after your new RAM purchase?
How long did you run Memtest?
Was this already happening before the driver update?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Previously I was using my tracers, and it came to be that sometimes the system won't even start up, stopping at various points, could be before POST or after POST. I changed the rams to a pair of 2GB Teem Extreme Dark and now the system starts up flawlessly. The system also fails every now and then as described. It seems to me this is a combo problem of which the tracers were one of them. This was before the driver update too.

The longest I've run Memtest with this new pair is around 2 hours. Is that enough?

I am running Orthos at home now, this morning I checked, it was fine for 6 hours. By tonight when I reach home it would have around 18 hours or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, more updates.

I swapped my 8800GTS with a HD3850, computer went fine. Gaming is fine as well. However there was one case when my comp just wouldn't boot up, it's not even POSTing. After a few resets, I got a windows config error, which i solved by manually restoring them, and it went fine after that.

On the other comp which I put in the 8800GTS, I ran some games and there are no freezes at all.

Now back to the original comp, today I tested an MSI 260GTX on it, it ran fine, and then the freezing problems came back! Each time after a freeze, the comp won't POST. I realized that if I let it rest for a while, it can start up again. When I opened up the CPU, I realized the NB is very very hot.

Now I'm guessing its either my PSU weakening or my NB overheating. I am using an Asus P5N-E SLI board. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ran 2 copies of Memtest for about 12 hours, 0 errors for both. Any ideas?

Edit: I would like to add that with the 260GTX, the video card doesn't stop giving signals to the monitor. Instead, the sound just freezes, and I have to reset the computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Help, anyone? I don't think it's the NB because it hasn't given me any problems. I should be worried if the NB heatsink is cool, but it's very hot.

My only question is, could a faulty Motherboard/CPU be the cause? Otherwise I'm thinking it has to be the PSU. However I'm not sure...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts