Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I recently picked up an Asus VG245H Monitor and I've ran into a rather baffling issue that I can't seem to resolve, I have my setup on a glass desk with a metal frame and anytime I discharge static electricity the monitor will either glitch out with a horizontal randomly colored line for a split second or reset entirely. I tried to isolate the issue further by taking the monitor off my desk and hooking it into a different outlet in the room and then running the HDMI off of my laptop that wasn't plugged in and when I discharged built up static on my desk again the monitor still reset even though it was a good 4-5 feet away. The house grounds appear to be fine as none of my surge protectors are indicating a ground fault and no other devices are affected by this issue, I'm at a loss as to how this would happen and I suspect maybe a ground fault in the monitor? Any ideas? should I return the monitor?

Thank you all for your help, I also included a video of what happens for reference.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,545 Posts
Yeah, my AOC G2460 will turn off for about half a second but it doesn't reset. It just blanks out for around 500ms (that's a rough estimate). While it bothers me quite a bit and I am worried that I'm killing my monitor, it seems there's no way to avoid it without spending a small fortune on some elaborate anti-static treatment to my computer room.

I believe it's just a proximity effect of static electricity, which can be pretty far-reaching and even weak ESD can affect sensitive electronics.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad it isn't just me lol, it started right when the air got really dry too from a cold snap we are having. It didn't really happen a few days ago but it was also much warmer and humid outside. I did some more searching and it seems others have the same type of issue across monitor brands. I would have thought there would have been more shielding to prevent it and I have never seen this issue with other monitors before. However this is also the first time I've had a metal and glass desk rather than the standard wooden desk. I guess my ESD wrist strap will become a permanent fixture until I get a wooden desk lol

The full reset seems to only happen if the zap is particularly strong and when its at my desk, the higher distance just made it do the quick flicker.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhany View Post

I'm glad it isn't just me lol, it started right when the air got really dry too from a cold snap we are having. It didn't really happen a few days ago but it was also much warmer and humid outside. I did some more searching and it seems others have the same type of issue across monitor brands. I would have thought there would have been more shielding to prevent it and I have never seen this issue with other monitors before. However this is also the first time I've had a metal and glass desk rather than the standard wooden desk. I guess my ESD wrist strap will become a permanent fixture until I get a wooden desk lol

The full reset seems to only happen if the zap is particularly strong and when its at my desk, the higher distance just made it do the quick flicker.
Yeah, dry air is the culprit. Imagine what life is like for me here in Minnesota.

The first time this happened to me, I began researching to see if this happens to others, and I'm happy to tell you that yeah, this is quite common unfortunately.

I, too, am new to this problem. I upgraded directly from the Samsung 2253BW which I bought in March of 2008 to the AOC G2460PG, and I never had any problems with ESD affecting the 2253BW. Power-wise, there's only 1 difference I can see: the 2253BW's power supply was built into the monitor while my AOC G2460PG has the power supply "power brick" thing. Yours does too. So, I wonder if having the monitor's power supply exposed like that results in being super-sensitive to ESD.

• Rep+
Reactions: Zhany

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I had an old samsung as well that had the brick type supply but that was using CCFL for the back light and I got rid of that back in the summer as the power supply had been damaged in one of the many moves I've done and was giving me some nice DC zaps, I figured it was time to get rid of that before the primary side decided to zap me into oblivion. The temporary Monitor/TV I used before I got this Asus monitor also had the built in power supply instead of the exposed one. I'm glad I didn't run to the store to exchange this one then since I probably would still have the same issue which would have been rather frustrating especially since I managed to get a "pixel perfect" panel.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,545 Posts
Quote:

Yeah I had an old samsung as well that had the brick type supply but that was using CCFL for the back light and I got rid of that back in the summer as the power supply had been damaged in one of the many moves I've done and was giving me some nice DC zaps, I figured it was time to get rid of that before the primary side decided to zap me into oblivion. The temporary Monitor/TV I used before I got this Asus monitor also had the built in power supply instead of the exposed one. I'm glad I didn't run to the store to exchange this one then since I probably would still have the same issue which would have been rather frustrating especially since I managed to get a "pixel perfect" panel.
Yeah, the other difference I thought of was the difference in the backlight technology. I have an LED backlight with an LCD display while the Samsung 2253BW has the CCFL backlight. Interesting. I wonder if that monitor was just as sensitive but I just didn't exactly see it. The monitor still works fine though, so I don't know. I replaced it because I realized how old it is and I panicked. hehe

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Yeah, the other difference I thought of was the difference in the backlight technology. I have an LED backlight with an LCD display while the Samsung 2253BW has the CCFL backlight. Interesting. I wonder if that monitor was just as sensitive but I just didn't exactly see it.
Come to think of it the TV I was using also was also using a CCFL for its backlight as is the laptop sitting on my desk as well, I wonder if LED is inherently more sensitive to ESD than CCFL

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,545 Posts
Quote:

Come to think of it the TV I was using also was also using a CCFL for its backlight as is the laptop sitting on my desk as well, I wonder if LED is inherently more sensitive to ESD than CCFL
Yeah, I think that's the answer. After all, LEDs are extremely different from CCFLs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts