Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Intel 4970K and throtteling is enabled but whenever the CPU is in balanced power mode it wont throttle itself, even If using 100% CPU during video editing + gaming it will remain at 800mhz. When I play games, the games runs at about 10fps because the CPU is at 800Mhz, It will not throttle itself to 4.2Ghz

When I turn on "High Performance" Mode the CPU goes to 4.2Ghz and everything is butter smooth.

Why wont my CPU Throttle to 4.2Ghz when gaming or video editing??

EDIT FOUND THE PROBLEM

The CPU Processor high state was set to 5% so a secondary question. Could this be a virus that changed my processor state? should I run a scan?

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrew3002 View Post

I have a Intel 4970K and throtteling is enabled but whenever the CPU is in balanced power mode it wont throttle itself, even If using 100% CPU during video editing + gaming it will remain at 800mhz. When I play games, the games runs at about 10fps because the CPU is at 800Mhz, It will not throttle itself to 4.2Ghz

When I turn on "High Performance" Mode the CPU goes to 4.2Ghz and everything is butter smooth.

Why wont my CPU Throttle to 4.2Ghz when gaming or video editing??

EDIT FOUND THE PROBLEM

The CPU Processor high state was set to 5% so a secondary question. Could this be a virus that changed my processor state? should I run a scan?
Run a scan, but it's not going to be a virus that did that. Btw throttle is for reducing, 800Mhz => 4.2Ghz != throttle

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
5% minimum processor mode is the default for the balanced power plan. The default settings are fine as it is for balanced power plan. Just a heads up that performance will be identical from balanced to high performance mode. The only noticeable difference will be in SSD / HDD benchmarking as a higher clock speed is required for maximum SSD / HDD speeds.

It's not due to a virus. I think this is a hardware issue. Are you using an aftermarket heatsink cooler or a CLC liquid cooler? If yes loosen the screws a bit for the mounting and it might solve the issue.

5% minimum processor mode is used when the system is either idle or under little load.

Maximum processor state is used when there are demanding task load like games, rendering, video editing, stress testing and other stuff like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts