Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a 500GB Samsung 970 EVO for my OS drive but am looking to replace my 1TB mechanical hard drive with the best bang-for-the-buck 1TB SSD. What are your recommendations?

Would the 1TB MX300 suffice? I won't need blazing fast because this will serve mainlyas storage or probably some games installed there if my main OS drive space is depleted.

·
Overclocker in training
14,091 Posts

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,041 Posts
MX500 or WD blue

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The MX500 2.5" is cheaper than the 850 EVO at $189 on Amazon. The M.2 SATA version is even cheaper at $186. Os there even a difference between a 2.5" SATA and an M.2 SATA in terms of performance? I don't think so but what's your take on that?

Interestingly enough, the MX300 is more expensive than the MX500 and 850 EVO.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should've mentioned that I have two 850 EVO 500GB at my disposal. You think it'a better to just RAID0 those instead of buying a newer one and selling these?

Sorry for the double post.

·
Overclocker in training
14,091 Posts
Hi,
No I wouldn't raid two for 1tb I'd keep them for os drives.
Crucial I had issues with so I'm not really a fan/ linux issues on the mx100 series still have a few small ones though still alive :)
You can likely catch deals going directly to samsung's website.

But if not mx500 is a better performer.

·
Integer Benchmarker
435 Posts
Look, going for the bang is not always the best way, there is no style sometimes in such smackeroos savings, go for Samsung and if it fails you then there will be one fellow member owing you a beer.

Two days ago, I sacrificed 240leva/1.69leva= 142 Starobrno beers, my favorite, just to buy Samsung 860 PRO 256GB. I am greedy as ????, as Icecube sings, but my first 1GB Samsung has to wait until winter.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@kevindd992002

Try this. It's an OEM SSD (before it's been branded, so it's cheaper, it's the same stuff as in HP drives otherwise). If you live in the US and can get reasonable shipping rates, it may not be a bad deal.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/1tb-sata-iii-3d-nand-oem-solid-state-hard-drive?mode=guest_open
That's already $180. I'd rather go for the earlier recommendations as they're very close to that price and are branded.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB in RAID0 setup just because I already have them. And just utilize cloud backup for the data in that RAID array that I value most.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts