Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Some of you may have been wondering why i wasn't playing UT as scheduled last night, well that was because my computer blew up...

It was all running happily, when i noticed my 12v rail dropping to 11.5v while idle (it never normally goes below 12.0v), i thought it was a bit strage, but didnt think much of it.

Next thing was the computer rebooted, not your normal kind of reboot but everything turned off and then back on again. It did this again about 1hr later.

Then finally just as i was about to load UT, it turned off, and this time didnt reboot.

I tried powering it back on, but it wouldnt work, i reset bios, disconnected all devices, tried different ram - still no luck.

I then resorted to ripping the motherboard out. As i was pulling the 12v P4 connector off, this is what i was faced with...(see pic)

Something must have happened to my PSU, and it decided that it wanted to kill my mobo...needless to say i wont be using Tagan again.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, now i gotta RMA the mobo....might buy another one in the meantime as i cant be without my machine for more than a few days!!

Can't send the PSU back tho, as i sleeved it, and removed the 'warrenty void of removed' sticker

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Yeah, now i gotta RMA the mobo....might buy another one in the meantime as i cant be without my machine for more than a few days!!

Can't send the PSU back tho, as i sleeved it, and removed the 'warrenty void of removed' sticker

Damn that sucks
... You and stuff blowing up, first the mouse, and now the PC.

At least the CPU didnt die.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
I'd be surprised if they let you RMA the board if its got any burn marks on it.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss though, I'd be PISSED!

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Ahhh.... Your telling on yourself.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
I'd be surprised if they let you RMA the board if its got any burn marks on it.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss though, I'd be PISSED!
****. ****. And Double ****.

Wonder if i can pick up one of those P4 4-pin connectors from somewhere and solder it onto the motherboard so it doesnt look burnt...

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
Damn that sucks
... You and stuff blowing up, first the mouse, and now the PC.

At least the CPU didnt die.

I know. Well i can only hope the CPU and other stuff isn't dead. No way of testing it out at the mo

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Probably try that, although any discontinuities in the solder may be a bad thing, depends on how much they look over the board

What about cleaning up the 4-pin? Rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
Probably try that, although any discontinuities in the solder may be a bad thing, depends on how much they look over the board

What about cleaning up the 4-pin? Rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip?
....Part of my power supplies connector is still melted in there. They were totally bonded together

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The pictures a bit blurred XMS, were you still crying when you took the pic.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I know someone selling a PP&C i'll drop you the details.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao
*** man that blows, so wat psu u gonna get? ultra x-connect?
Naa...cant seem to get them in the UK yet. Probably an OCZ Powerstream 520w.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibant1
The pictures a bit blurred XMS, were you still crying when you took the pic.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I know someone selling a PP&C i'll drop you the details.

...Thats why its so blurred mate. Looking through my tears i couldnt seem to get it focused! lol

To be honest, i'm pretty cool about it - i have no idea why. I should be throwing things around the place and going ape****. Maybe the grief hasn't set in yet.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Go ahead and try the RMA. Most places have a system in place where as they only look at a certain percentage of returns. The others they just toss.

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash
Go ahead and try the RMA. Most places have a system in place where as they only look at a certain percentage of returns. The others they just toss.
Yeah, well i've got an RMA with both DFi and the place i bought the mobo...so fingers crossed one of them will take it back.

GOD DAMN TAGAN POS

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms
Yeah, well i've got an RMA with both DFi and the place i bought the mobo...so fingers crossed one of them will take it back.

GOD DAMN TAGAN POS
I feel your pain, really I do...

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just spoke to DFI...the conversation kinda went like this:

DFI: So your motherboard has a burned out P4 12v connector.
ME: Yes
DFI: Was you using watercooling in this system?
ME: No, just the stock Intel heatsink!
DFI: What Power Supply?
ME: Tagan 480w - and its still working fine in another machine.
DFI: OK, i'll authorise your RMA over the phone and once we have your board, we'll send you a new one.
ME: Great, Thanks Bye!
DFI: Bye
*Clunk*
ME: MUAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

1 - 20 of 129 Posts