Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Strange! I purchased a Denon AVR-S530BT 5.2 channel 4K home theater receiver and tried in vain to get it to pass a 2560X1080 signal through to my monitor. I have an AMD Rx 480 graphics card and with the driver installed, the receiver will not pass the full 21:9 signal through without some weird DPI scaling taking place, or letterboxing the image. Yes, the resolution is set to the display's native 2560X1080p. Then I tried using the Intel graphics and the same thing happened. But after uninstalling the Intel graphics driver (using a 4790K) the receiver was able to pass through a 2560X1080 signal clear as could be with no scaling at all. This should not even be possible since most home theater receivers are not able to handle the 2560X1080 signal properly and can only do the 1920X1080 or 4K.

So what gives? Why would the basic Microsoft display driver allow the receiver to pass through a crystal clear 2560X1080 signal but the correct Intel/AMD drivers completely bork the receiver's output? The receiver supports HDCP 2.2 so there should be no issue with outputting the native resolution if it can do it without any drivers installed.

Native 2560X1080p passthrough capability confirmed.

I then attempted to use the Intel graphics driver for the HDMI audio to the receiver, and the AMD driver for graphics to the monitor. Basically I wanted to use the "dual iGPU" capabilities and offload the audio processing from the 4790K's Intel graphics without having to duplicate my graphics card output. But in the end it seems the only way possible, since I could not get the Intel graphics control center to install.

·
Registered
299 Posts
ok im sure if im mistaken someone will jump in but..
yes a dedicated gpu has its own built in sound on "the board"
but a cpu with a gpu does not. its sound is processed from the chip on the motherboard.
so use video from the card and just use the audio from the motherboard
i just looked up your receiver if you used the optical connection you should be able to use any of the formats it supports
yea it only has Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding i can verify that these actually work just fine with optical i run a rca reciever and it has both those and work great

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok im sure if im mistaken someone will jump in but..
yes a dedicated gpu has its own built in sound on "the board"
but a cpu with a gpu does not. its sound is processed from the chip on the motherboard.
so use video from the card and just use the audio from the motherboard
i just looked up your receiver if you used the optical connection you should be able to use any of the formats it supports
yea it only has Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding i can verify that these actually work just fine with optical i run a rca receiver and it has both those and work great
I prefer not to use DTS connect just to get 5.1 when playing games. The only options are multichannel analog, or HDMI. I'm just confused why the receiver could handle HDMI passthrough at 2560x1080p without the drivers installed, but when the drivers are installed the image becomes blurred as if it was like a 1024x768 image scaled up. I thought maybe it was the HDCP DRM that degrades the image so you can't use screen recording software to copy movies as you play them. I've heard of some weird things happening in the name of DRM, like audio watermarks, so this would not surprise me if the image was purposely degraded when the driver detected another device in the path of the video signal.

The only options using HDMI is to use the Intel (onboard) HDMI and AMD together and clone the displays, or just use the HDMI/Displayport output of the AMD and clone the displays. But this is 2018 and we shouldn't have to resort to such an arcane setup with cables everywhere just to get HDMI audio when using an ultrawide monitor. Sucks that receiver manufactures can't even support a damn 2560X1080 signal even though they can handle 4K. So what about 2560X1440K users? Do they get thrown under the bus too?

I know there's an option within the Intel graphics driver that supports "HDMI audio output without video" but for some reason the Intel graphics control panel will not install and I cannot configure the Intel graphics. So I'm just sticking with this setup for now:

HDMI output from my RX 480 to reciever
Display Port output from my RX480 to my monitor.
Clone display.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I have a Yamaha YSP-2500 and I cannot get HDMI to passthrough to the tv. The computer just won't start up. If I boot the computer direct connected to the TV, then move to the sound bar, it will be fine, but won't start up. Also on AMD graphics.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Yamaha YSP-2500 and I cannot get HDMI to passthrough to the tv. The computer just won't start up. If I boot the computer direct connected to the TV, then move to the sound bar, it will be fine, but won't start up. Also on AMD graphics.
Have you tried connecting the PC directly to the TV using the HDMI then use the optical output of the TV into the sound bar? This would seem like a better option for you instead of trying to use the HDMI passthrough.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Have you tried connecting the PC directly to the TV using the HDMI then use the optical output of the TV into the sound bar? This would seem like a better option for you instead of trying to use the HDMI passthrough.
It's what I've been doing, was trying to reduce the number of cables. I had thought about getting a roku or something, then I could just use HDMI from roku to soundbar to tv. My TV is a bit old and one of the HDMI slots doesn't really work, so using the soundbar to switch inputs would be nice.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the TV have an ARC (audio return channel) Hdmi port or is this the one that doesn't work? I'm a bit confused but it still seems like you would need two cables anyway whether you used the HDMI passthrough of the soundbar to the TV or the HDMI ARC from the TV to the soundbar, or optical output to the sound bar.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Does the TV have an ARC (audio return channel) Hdmi port or is this the one that doesn't work? I'm a bit confused but it still seems like you would need two cables anyway whether you used the HDMI passthrough of the soundbar to the TV or the HDMI ARC from the TV to the soundbar, or optical output to the sound bar.
TV is Dynex from 2009 (1080P simple lcd screen, little features), no ARC. At this time, yes, I would not reduce the number of cables(1 hdmi, 1 optical), but if I add an Amazon Fire TV device then I need a way to switch back and forth, hence going through the soundbar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts